The New Pope

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I have been on a tangent lately vindicating Greg Bahnsen against AAPC and RefCat charges, but I thought his comments on Papism were to the point, just in case anybody thought he was in cahoots with the above two groups:

This is taken from his sermon, The Road to Rome: Was the Reformation Right?"

I grant you the Pope is a pretty nice guy. I could probably go to a ball game with him. But when he puts on that mitre and offers again Christ as a sacrifice on the Mass, he is my sworn-enemy, now and forever, unless God grants him repentance.

So much for ecumenicity.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
I know I have been on a tangent lately vindicating Greg Bahnsen against AAPC and RefCat charges, but I thought his comments on Papism were to the point, just in case anybody thought he was in cahoots with the above two groups:

I grant you the Pope is a pretty nice guy. I could probably go to a ball game with him. But when he puts on that mitre and offers again Christ as a sacrifice on the Mass, he is my sworn-enemy, now and forever, unless God grants him repentance.

So much for ecumenicity.

I listened to that sermon. He did a good job.

Pope Benedict XVI:

"Joseph Ratzinger was born in Marktl am Inn, in Bavaria, the son of a police officer who was staunchly anti-Nazi. In 1937 Ratzinger's father retired and settled in the town of Traunstein. When Ratzinger turned 14 in 1941, he was required by law to join the Hitler Youth , but according to his biographer John Allen he was not an enthusiastic member. In 1943, at the age of 16 he was, along with the rest of his class, drafted into the Flak or anti-aircraft corps, responsible for the guarding of a BMW plant outside Munich. He was then sent for basic infantry training and was posted to Hungary, where he worked setting up anti-tank defences until he deserted in April 1944 (an offence punishable by death). In 1945 he was briefly held in an Allied POW camp. By June he was released, and he and his brother (Georg) entered a Catholic seminary. On June 29, 1951, they were ordained by Cardinal Faulhaber of Munich. His dissertation (1953) was on Saint Augustine, his Habilitationsschrift (second dissertation) on Saint Bonaventure.

Ratzinger speaks ten languages and has received seven honorary doctorate degrees. He is an accomplished pianist with a preference for Beethoven.

He is the eighth German pope. At 78, Ratzinger is only two years short of the 80-year age limit on popes.

In April, 2005, he was identified as one of the 100 most influential people in the world by Time Magazine."

SOURCE

quoting James White:

Joseph Ratzinger, the chief theologian of the Roman Church, architect of the central document of Vatican II, the man behind so much of the theological documents of John Paul II, has been elected Pope, taking the name of Benedict XVI. Surely, the election of Ratzinger, at age 78, follows the normal "routine," and signals a "staying of the course" theologically.

and

I will surely be watching with interest. Ratzinger would be quite the choice. You do realize that he heads up the modern incarnation of the Inquisition, yes? Not quite the organization it once was, but that would be ironic, to be sure.

http://aomin.org

So much for ecumenicity.

Or being bliblical for that matter. See Ephesians 6:12. They are not our enemies more than any other unbeliever. They are our mission.

Originally posted by kevin.carroll

So much for ecumenicity.

Or being bliblical for that matter. See Ephesians 6:12. They are not our enemies more than any other unbeliever. They are our mission.

:worms:

Originally posted by Me Died Blue

So much for ecumenicity.

It might be, but I stand by it. ;)

He's not really the new pope because he's been running the vatican and operating JP2s strings for 2 years now.

I would like to say something nice about Mr. Ratzinger. He's a beer drinker and I believe he would uphold the Augsburg Purity Laws. I hope the fact that he's the antichrist doesn't change his attitude toward beer.

Originally posted by maxdetail
He's not really the new pope because he's been running the vatican and operating JP2s strings for 2 years now.

I would like to say something nice about Mr. Ratzinger. He's a beer drinker and I believe he would uphold the Augsburg Purity Laws. I hope the fact that he's the antichrist doesn't change his attitude toward beer.

:lol::detective:

I'm not convinced on the pope = The Antichrist thing, but I'll :amen: your beer observations...:D

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

:lol::detective:

That's only proof that what goes INTO a man doesn't defile him!

:lol::lol:

(Whispering to Pastor Keven)

(I'm not convinced he's the antichrist either but I labelled him that to create an absurd balance in my joke for the sake of heightening the humor factor. Don't tell the others.)

Nothing to see here, move along, nothing to see here.

(I'm not convinced he's the antichrist either but I labelled him that to create an absurd balance in my joke for the sake of heightening the humor factor. Don't tell the others.)

Here's an article from Ian Paisley that convinced me:

Does Not The Likeness Fit?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The numerical value of the Pope's title on his golden crown at his public coronation, namely 'VICARIVS FILII DEI is that remarkable number 666.
Dr. Ian R. K. Paisley

Does not the likeness which Paul has produced fit exactly the Popes of Rome?

The features are all vividly predicted, sharply cut, that there is no difficulty whatsoever in detecting the Antichrist whose image they represent. Paul did not paint at random. His is no vague sketch that could fit loosely on any system of error that would arise to deceive the world. Paul is drawing the picture of some grand, sharply-featured, long-lived, daringly wicked and fearfully blasphemous confederacy which under 'the mask of Christianity' will seek to destroy true Christianity from the face of the earth. AND HOW WELL ROME HAS SUCCEEDED AND IS SUCCEEDING.

The Pope has erected his throne in the Christian temple; he has usurped all the titles and functions of Christ; he claims to mediate between God and man; he says he holds the keys of hell and death. He has commanded to abstain from meats; he has forbidden to marry, he has vested his priests in purple and scarlet and fine linen and decked them with gold and silver and precious stones. He has made war with the saints and drunk the blood of the martyrs. He has put his foot on the neck of Kings and pronounced himself as Infallible as God. He says he is the Vicar of Christ, the Substitute of Christ on earth.

We confront this man and with God's Holy Word in our hands we indict him thus - 'Thou art the Antichrist.'

'Let who will cringe and bow before thee; let who will patch anew thy vizor which begins to wax thread-bare and to permit the horrid features that lurk beneath it to shine through; let who will palliate thy crimes, and deny that ever thou didst persecute, and though simulating the meekness and innocence of the lamb, art a ravening wolf. Let who will befriend thee in the arrogant and blasphemous claims thou art still putting forth, we say of thee, Thou art he of whom Paul in old time, writing by the Holy Ghost, spoke. Hear what he called thee! He named thee, 'The Man of Sin,' and 'Son of Perdition.'

Behold upon his tiara these Latin words carefully preserved down through the ages.

VICARIVS FILII DEI

God has told us.

'Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man: and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.' Revelation 13:18.

Now certain Roman characters have numerical values.

I=1; V=5; X=10; L=50; C=100; D=500.

Now let us count the number of the man at the Vatican. God has told us to do it.

V = 5 F = -- D = 500
I = 1 I = 1 E = --
C = 100 L = 50 I = 1
A = -- I = 1
R = -- I = 1
I = 1
V = 5
S = --

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

112 + 53 + 501 = 666

So the numerical value of the Pope's title on his golden crown at his public coronation, namely 'VICARIVS FILII DEI is that remarkable number 666.

The pope is the antichrist. It is clearly demonstrated from SCRIPTURE, HISTORY, - AND FROM HIS OWN LIPS.

What is the story behind the name changes of incoming popes? I am unfamiliar with the history and reasoning behind this.

How and why does Karol Watjola (spelling?) become John Paul, and Ratzinger become Benedict?

Last time I heard the name Benedict it was in highschool history, referring to a traitor.......

What does James White mean by saying Ratzinger is the head of a modern inquisition? Is Ratzinger trying to darken that black eye on the church even more?

:lol:

My problem is I'm probably still suffering from latent dispensationalism and don't recognize it. I just have a hard time reconciling everything the Bible says about Antichrist with the pope.

Originally posted by Reformingstudent

Numerology isn't very compelling as it has been used to identify Nero, various popes, and Ronald Wilson Reagan (6 letters in each name).

I'm surprised Paisley missed a *glaringly* obvious point: if John was thinking of numerology, he was writing in (and, therefore thinking of) Greek, not Latin. You simply can't combine the two. So I would be looking for some numerological point in Greek and not on the Pope's mitre.

On a lighter note, my second son was born with a strage "Gorbachev-ish" (another popular Antichrist pic) birthmark on his forehead. One time, shortly after his birth, we were at a grocery store and I scanned his forehead...just to see...My wife failed to see the humor in the situation. :lol:

Originally posted by Reformingstudent

Numerology isn't very compelling as it has been used to identify Nero, various popes, and Ronald Wilson Reagan (6 letters in each name).

I'm surprised Paisley missed a *glaringly* obvious point: if John was thinking of numerology, he was writing in (and, therefore thinking of) Greek, not Latin. You simply can't combine the two. So I would be looking for some numerological point in Greek and not on the Pope's mitre.

On a lighter note, my second son was born with a strage "Gorbachev-ish" (another popular Antichrist pic) birthmark on his forehead. One time, shortly after his birth, we were at a grocery store and I scanned his forehead...just to see...My wife failed to see the humor in the situation. :lol:

I know too many people who identify Nero as the Antichrist simply because of numerology. It can be vain.

Ratzinger used to be called "God's Rottweiler" and I don't think he's starting the Inquisition again, he's just head of what still exists from it. He was the Chairman of Dogma or something like that.

Get it - Dogma - Rottweiler?

The end-times insanity is already starting.
popcorn2.gif

Newsmax article

Originally posted by RAS
What is the story behind the name changes of incoming popes? I am unfamiliar with the history and reasoning behind this.

How and why does Karol Watjola (spelling?) become John Paul, and Ratzinger become Benedict?

The Popes choose their name based on who they wish to honor or represent in their office. For example John Paul I chose the name because he wanted to continue the work of John XXIII and Paul VI. John Paul II wanted the same.

Interestingly enough Benedict XVI wrote an encyclical letter regarding the punishment of heretics (that's us Protestants). Quoting from it:

if at any time he should fly to a place of protection, ought to be dragged forth from it, AS OFTEN AS PROOF SUFFICIENT FOR THE TORTURE COULD BE HAD

I'm wondering if Benedict XVII will be reinstituing the practice of torture early on or will he wait to get his feet wet?

Originally posted by Me Died Blue

So much for ecumenicity.

It might be, but I stand by it. ;)

I'll stand by Rev. Carroll, too. Theonomy is at the root of the FV movement --- gasp! Like it or not...that's where it leads to. (As much as I like Bahnsen.)

Robin

I don't really know where you're going with that, but nothing at all was being discussed about theonomy...the issue was over the nature of the Pope as our "enemy" or not.

YES! Hal Lindsey has NOT disappointed. He's going to be on the Joseph Farrah show today discussing how Benedict fulfills the prophecy of the writings of Malachy, no NOT Malachi!, Malachy. (Hal is probably not to keen on the doctrine of sola scriptura.)

Anyway, tune in and listen and you might get to hear a real flying saucer when it comes to pick Hal up after the show.

(Pastor Kevin, you scanned your son's forehead. That is rich! We need to meet.) :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back