The Official American Idol Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay...

We've heard the top 13... who's going bye-bye?

I think Anoop is definately gone, with Megan (rockin' robin girl) most likely also going- although Alexis and Jasmine are in trouble.

Personally, I think Adam and Lil will be in the final based on what I've seen so far. Thoughts on that?

I did like the performances of Scott and Mike (the blind guy and the oil rigger). Both of them surprised me with their vocals.

Theognome

I definitely agree about Adam making it to the finale, but I really didn't find Scott's performance entertaining. I did, however, really like Mike's vocals tonight.

My verdict: Anoop and Megan have sung their last on American Idol.

I think Anoop is leaving...I think the rough-neck, Jessica, and Rockin' Robin girl could be in trouble.

I'm now kind of rooting for Matt G...he sings pretty well, and he's from Kalamazoo.

No way Adam makes it to the finals. AI has never been primarily about singing. His internet pictures just cost him a coast to the finals on the wings of 12-14 year old girls texting his vote 30 times every show. And no way the average high school/college guys vote for him.

If you think it is all about talent - ask Sanjaya.

Am I missing something here. Would anyone argue that Danny Gokey was anything less than sensational. He is a Christian and a homeboy. Whats not to love? :judge:

Am I missing something here. Would anyone argue that Danny Gokey was anything less than sensational. He is a Christian and a homeboy. Whats not to love? :judge:

Oh, there's lots to love- but unfortunately, he has not demonstrated incredible vocal ability, not does he work the stage particularly well. I think he'll make the top 5, but I just don't see him in the final. Don't forget the 'working the stage' portion of this thing- it's what won it for Taylor Hicks.

PS- can an admin make the spell-checker not tell me that Theognome is misspelled?

Theognome

Vote for the Worst is telling people to vote for Megan Joy Corkrey. I'm pretty sure they kept Sanjaya alive, so she may be back.

I missed it last night b/c of Bible study (you heathens) so I don't have an opinion.

What?!?!?!?!?

I can understand Jasmine going, but Jorge? over Anoop of all people? What is wrong with this planet?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Theognome

I can understand Jasmine going, but Jorge? over Anoop of all people? What is wrong with this planet?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Theognome

Jorge's departure gives me hope for America...I'm convinced he was an undercover operative from the principalities of darkness.

I missed last night's too, even though this time I was home.
Is it bad that I lose interest after they are done making fun of all of the terrible people auditioning?
Last year, though, we actually voted! We ♥'d Jason Castro. Are any of these contestants folksy like he was?

Well, well , well...

I think Danny was a superstar tonight as was the last fella Matt. Things turned badly I think for Adam as he chose a horrible arrangement.

Go Gokey, my homeboy:banana::banana::banana:

Funny... I thought that Adam's take on "Ring of Fire" was fantastic. He could have an easy radio hit with that. Reminded me of David Cook's cover of "Billie Jean" from last year.

There were points that Lambert's version of Ring of Fire was interesting...but he is a genuinely creepy fellow.

I'm sorry, but when he sang "It burns, burns, burns", I recollected difficult bouts with diarrhea in the past.

So far, I'm liking Matt G. from Kalamazoo...I don't think he'll win, but I'm liking his performances.

There were points that Lambert's version of Ring of Fire was interesting...but he is a genuinely creepy fellow.

I'm sorry, but when he sang "It burns, burns, burns", I recollected difficult bouts with diarrhea in the past.

So far, I'm liking Matt G. from Kalamazoo...I don't think he'll win, but I'm liking his performances.

I'm going to have to go with Craig here. Adam reminded me of a woman doing a male impersonation. Ugh.

Funny... I thought that Adam's take on "Ring of Fire" was fantastic. He could have an easy radio hit with that. Reminded me of David Cook's cover of "Billie Jean" from last year.

I will give you this, he was the most unique. But oh my is he creepy :eek:

Top 11 replay and critique

Okay, cute St. Pattie’s intro… now let’s get on with it.

It’s country week, and our contestants will be attempting to demonstrate their prowess through some of the greatest hits of the Grand Ole Opry. Let’s see how they handle it…

Michael Sarver- ‘Ain’t goin’ down ‘til the sun comes up’

Yes, he picked a tongue twister. Fortunately, he’s likeable and has a quality voice. Unfortunately, his diction wasn’t where it should be for such a complicated song, nor did the song really showcase him as an vocalist. However, his charisma and comfort with the musical topic is still enough to get him through the competition at this stage.

Theoscore- 7.5

Allison Iraheta ‘Blame it on the Heart’

Um… yeah, country is not her genre. She can sing, yes, but this was like watching a bull in a china shop. I’m an unforgiving sort when it come to this show, and so just because someone is 16 doesn’t grant special favors in my book. Her performance was sleazy and stunk. However, stinking sleaze is very popular, so we’ll be seeing more of her.

Theoscore- 7.0

Chris Allen ’To Make it Through My Love’

Here’s a guy who does have a very good singing voice, and knows how to use it. Excellent control, great connection with the audience and good use of dynamics. The problem is that he’s a ‘singer for the ladies’, and while that will get him somewhere, it won’t get him into the finals. He will need to up his game to appeal to a wider audience if he wants a chance to win this thing.

Theoscore- 8.0

Lil Rounds ’Independence Day’

I was surprised at how poorly she performed this. There is an obvious cultural connection between R&B and country (particularly honky tonk) and I would think an artist like Lil would have capitalized on this. Instead, she picked a song that somewhat showcased what she could do, but focused highly on what went over her head- country music is about baring the soul, and she held hers back. Bad girl! Thankfully, she has a solid fan base, and is not in any real danger of leaving this round.

Theoscore- 6.5

Adam Lambert ’Ring of Fire’

What… happened… to… my… television… … I was dumbfounded in the same manner I would be if I had just witnessed a triple axe murder. Even Toni was moved, saying that this boy looked like a cross between John boy from the Waltons and Dracula. His musical style invokes this just as equally. Though his vocals were typically outstanding to the point of being in a class of their own, this was truly a love/hate performance- and I hated every moment of it. But his willingness to make the song his own and his mastery of skill and form is still undeniable.

Theoscore- 9.0

Scott MacIntyre ’Wild Angels’

Hmmmmm… My ‘love affair’ with Scott is beginning to diminish. He’s a good vocalist, but not great. He’s a great pianist, undoubtedly. But I’ve seen blind performers before, and the successful ones wear sunglasses when they perform, and for good reason- people connect with the eyes. Scott looses that connection because he doesn’t compensate by covering the eyes and emoting with his body like Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder. Rather, he bobs back and forth with a glassy look on his face that is quite distracting. If he doesn’t find a way to overcome his lack of stage presence, he won’t last too many more rounds.

Theoscore- 7.0

Alexis Grace ’Jolene’

She wanted to show the soft side, but what she showed was the pathetic side. A lackluster performance that demonstrated little flexibility as an artist and no real connection with the song. It just fell flat; a poor imitation of Dolly and more akin to a little girl pretending to be a grown up than the mature song it is supposed to be. Combined with a mediocre vocal, this is gonna put her in trouble come tomorrow.

Theoscore- 6.0

Danny Gokey 'Jesus Take the Wheel’

When I first heard he was gonna sing this I thought, ‘Oh, no!’ But I have to admit, he pulled it off. By making small changes to the lyrics so that it was a man telling a woman’s story, he was able to build into the song far more heart and character that I ever expected. Combined with his singing ability, this was one of the best of the night.

Theoscore- 9.0

Anoop Desai ’You Are Always On My Mind’

One of the marks of a good performance is when you don’t think about the original when someone is singing, and Anoop pulled that off tonight. Smooth, heartfelt and bold, this was nothing less than an outstanding performance considering the song he chose. I still don’t know if he can ‘powerhouse’ like Adam or Danny, but he did very well with this one.

Theoscore- 8.5

Megan Joy ’I go Walking After Midnight’

Please keep walking. Less than mediocre vocals (which has been the norm so far), and has a vacuum for a stage presence. Flu or not, why is this girl still there? Is it the arm tats? It sure isn’t her singing ability. She reminds me of Amanda Obermeyer, except not as good a singer- and Amanda was terrible. Please be gone tomorrow and be out of my misery.

Theoscore- 4.5

Matt Giraud ’So Small’

Wow. This man worked the whole stage while sitting at the piano (take notes, Scott!), had awesome, soulful vocals that made you believe what he was singing… by far the best of the night! This guy may be the dark horse that upsets the favorites.

Theoscore- 9.5

So there you have it. I expect Megan to be gone, although the whole flu thing might get her some sympathy votes that will keep her in and force Alexis out. Either way, we lose a lady tomorrow. This is a guys show this season.

Theognome

I'm having to deal with some diarrhea right now, and I didn't need that reminder.

Theognome

Go Danny Gokey!! :) He did great. I'm still rooting for him.

I read the following link posted on drudgereport.com about American Idol's final four already being chosen:
'American Idol' chatter four-sees finalists

Not sure what to think of it or if it's even trustworthy. At least it says Danny is one of the four, though. :)

I like Adam a lot. He is a showman- but his Ring of Fire cost him TONS of votes, I am sure. I cannot imagine many grandmas, moms/dads, or even normal teens/college aged people voting for that.

I hope he makes it through, but what a strange version of ROF?

I'm having to deal with some diarrhea right now, and I didn't need that reminder.

Theognome

WTMI - just remember to take the spurs off.

Leave Megan alone...

Poor girl looks like her arm caught fire, and is scar damaged, and hopefully is a reminder to all girls NOT to get tattoos.

But I think she's alright.

I agree with Randy, that although, on this show, it looked weird, with a band on-stage in the right setting, it was just an edgy Rock twist on the song.

Right now, my money is on the 16 year old Red Headed girl.

"My wife said, we don't even remember whose on the show, why are we watching it?"

I said, "That's the point, I need a brain dead hour once a week, and this is it."

I must admit, two brain dead hours are a bit much, I'll be glad when it's down to 1. But with Tivo, I get it down pretty close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back