The Oh Hellos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constantlyreforming

Puritan Board Sophomore
I found out about this band on Noisetrade. They are superb, a duo of a brother and sister bringing to us the gospel through a concept album that is meant to be listened to from beginning to end. They have made it available for free download on their website (The Oh Hello's | The Oh Hellos) as well as Noisetrade. The Oh Hellos : Through the Deep, Dark Valley | Free Music Download

For me it was like listening to Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. Their lyrics, musicianship and voices are superb. Here are some lyric samples:

"We were born in the valley of the dead and the wicked/…we were born in the shadow of the crimes of our fathers /blood was our inheritance,” The Valley

“we were young when we heard you call our names in the silence/…we came down to the water and we begged for forgiveness/…will you lead me?”
The Valley

“Wishing Well” is one of my favorites, like a prodigal son story:

“oh, I stole from my father all I thought I could sell /tossed his copper, and I watched as it fell /but there wasn’t any water in the wishing well.

“For my soul, he made an offer /and to the dust again I fell /and oh, that devil’s got a hold on me now / because there wasn’t any water in the wishing well.”

It concludes with some wonderful lyrics:

“We were born in the valley of the dead and the wicked /where our father’s father fell to the crimes he’d committed /we were young when we heard you call our names in the silence

“Still you lead me, never leave me / never leave me”

The Song list

The Valley
Like the Dawn
Eat You Alive
Second Child, Restless Child
Wishing Well
In Memoriam
The Lament of Eustace Scrubb
I Was Wrong
I Have Made Mistakes
The Truth Is a Cave
Valley (Reprise)

Take a listen and let me know your thoughts. They are a touring band and do small concerts both in homes, churches and other locations. It is by far one of the best albums I have ever listened to from beginning to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back