The oldest debate in Rock........

Beatles vs The Stones...the great debate from the 60's to today!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:

As far as pure Rock n Roll is concerned Led Zepplin tops them both.

-CH
2034.jpg

Probably my most favorite Album of all time.

Randy, would that be I or IV?

People!!!!! Stop it...hijacking a good mans thread....for shame on ya;).....start a Zep thread!:judge:

Last edited:
I like the Beatles and the Stones. Sure the Beatles have much farther reaching influence but as far as just keepin' on keepin on, the Stones win hands down. Granted their sound is very primative especially compared to the Beatles that's why it depends on my mood as to which I'll be listening to at a given time.

As far as the Metal debate goes, sorry no hair bands allowed in my ears. NWBHM scene for me. I was always into Saxon and Motorhead, as opposed to boys that tried to look like the covergirl of Cosmo magazine and just played party rock and then tried to call it Metal.;)
Donald my Brother, with all due respect some of the truly "great" Stones Albums were FAR from primitive. When was the last time you slapped in....say...Sticky Fingers? There is amazing studio technical mastery! Listen to Dead Flowers and the interlacing guitar work of Richards and Taylor! Man it will give you shivers! Thats just good stuff!:up:

That's true, and Angie is one heck of a tune. But the Stones stuff that gets my blood pumping is their straight ahead R&R stuff. Granted Paint it Black is a very complex tune as well. But to me it still doesn't get my heart racing like "It's Only Rock and Roll, But I Like It".

I like the Beatles and the Stones. Sure the Beatles have much farther reaching influence but as far as just keepin' on keepin on, the Stones win hands down. Granted their sound is very primative especially compared to the Beatles that's why it depends on my mood as to which I'll be listening to at a given time.

As far as the Metal debate goes, sorry no hair bands allowed in my ears. NWBHM scene for me. I was always into Saxon and Motorhead, as opposed to boys that tried to look like the covergirl of Cosmo magazine and just played party rock and then tried to call it Metal.;)
Donald my Brother, with all due respect some of the truly "great" Stones Albums were FAR from primitive. When was the last time you slapped in....say...Sticky Fingers? There is amazing studio technical mastery! Listen to Dead Flowers and the interlacing guitar work of Richards and Taylor! Man it will give you shivers! Thats just good stuff!:up:

That's true, and Angie is one heck of a tune. But the Stones stuff that gets my blood pumping is their straight ahead R&R stuff. Granted Paint it Black is a very complex tune as well. But to me it still doesn't get my heart racing like "It's Only Rock and Roll, But I Like It".
Paint it Black is awesome!...yes that is pure adrenaline!

Both bands lacked live performance pizazz. I have seen the Stones 4 times, and the sound is terrible. Some glimpses of hope are present, but all in all they are a studio band. When the Beatles performed last at Candlestick park in 1966, for some odd reason they thought it was time to quit. 1966 was just when they started to "come together". I wish I could have heard them in 1968 or 69. But alas it was not meant to be.

Rotten tomatoes to Linda and Yoko!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even think of the Beatles as Rock and Roll, great music, yes...but good ole' party time, Rock....once in a while.....but The Stones are hands down, the best Rock n Roll band!!!!!
:up::up::up:....Yes...That is what I am talking about........straight shot Rock and Roll....stuff that can keep you awake on a road trip!;)

In recognition of the Stones, I give them credit for coming out with one of the best "live" albums of all time....Get Yer Ya Yas Out Certainly it's greatness is do to the dualing guitars of Taylor & Richards.

Can I be honest about something? The Stones have always been just too evil for me. Even when I was a pure pagan I felt uncomfortable with the sex/satanic stuff. The Beatles worldview wasn't much better to be sure, but at least they kept a lid on it, to an extent.

Both bands lacked live performance pizazz. I have seen the Stones 4 times, and the sound is terrible. Some glimpses of hope are present, but all in all they are a studio band. When the Beatles performed last at Candlestick park in 1966, for some odd reason they thought it was time to quit. 1966 was just when they started to "come together". I wish I could have heard them in 1968 or 69. But alas it was not meant to be.

Evil Yoko!:down: She was their downfall! Lennon wanted to make her their producer!:p

Evil Yoko!:down: She was their downfall! Lennon wanted to make her their producer!:p

Yoko and linda were to the Beat-uls as Delilah was to Sampson...I couldnt let this thread go to far without a biblical connection..sorry

OK........OK...........Ritalin and focus time:lol:......I am ONLY dealing with the two Titans here.....Stones and Beatles.....and yes I like Zep...not the issue here Brother. The Stones and the Beatles are the two top selling bands ever in Rock...that is the threads focus!:)

Stones and Beatles are the two top selling bands ever in rock? Are you sure about that? Based on record sales? I don't think the Stones are anywhere close.

I voted before I saw the initial post. Certainly the Beatles is/are the better band, but I do like them both!:cheers:

OK........OK...........Ritalin and focus time:lol:......I am ONLY dealing with the two Titans here.....Stones and Beatles.....and yes I like Zep...not the issue here Brother. The Stones and the Beatles are the two top selling bands ever in Rock...that is the threads focus!:)

Stones and Beatles are the two top selling bands ever in rock? Are you sure about that? Based on record sales? I don't think the Stones are anywhere close.
Yes.....in terms of overall World Wide record sales.....the Stones are second only to the Beatles!;)

In recognition of the Stones, I give them credit for coming out with one of the best "live" albums of all time....Get Yer Ya Yas Out Certainly it's greatness is do to the dualing guitars of Taylor & Richards.

Can I be honest about something? The Stones have always been just too evil for me. Even when I was a pure pagan I felt uncomfortable with the sex/satanic stuff. The Beatles worldview wasn't much better to be sure, but at least they kept a lid on it, to an extent.

I agree. I stuck with my Resurrection Band and Sweet Comfort Band and Larry Norman and Michael Omartian for the most part. It was only when I had sunk to deep depravity during college that I began listening to the Beatles or the Stones.

I voted before I saw the initial post. Certainly the Beatles is/are the better band, but I do like them both!:cheers:
Really...most classic rock buffs......whatever the main preference like both bands for different reasons.....the Beatles listened to the Stones music....Mick and the boys listened to the Beatles music. There was competition, but Jagger and Lennon were friends.

Last edited:
I voted for The Beatles.

If the question is who could play their instruments better then they both fall to Zep, the Who, Cream, Rush, the Dixie Dregs, Van Halen etc. etc.

The Dixie Dregs...wow, there's a name I haven't seen in a while. I've seen Steve Morse play a couple of times with his band...great guitarist!

Beatles over Stones...

But gotta give Led Zep and Jimi Hendrix Experience a shout out. Come on guys...JIMI!
Oh yeah...Bob Dylan as songwriter.

Citation?
Not going to do your homework brother....Wiki it!:D:D:D

I did ... The Stones are two tiers below the Beatles on this list: Beatles at more than 1 billion records, Stones at more than 200 million according to the citations.

List of best-selling music artists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OK Big and Jackson do not count....and the article states international sales are not always reliable....I will go to the Bible of this matter.....that is right my friend MOJO!!!!!:)

The Beatles. I don't understand why there is even a debate. The Who and Led Zeppelin are also significantly better and more influential than the Rolling Stones.
OK....granted.....The Who were ALSO viewed (at the top of their game as "studio perfect" no offence....lets stay focused....this debate is on the two TITAN bands of rock.....Stones and Beatles.

yea, Zep. all the way:deadhorse::cheers2::detective:

The Beatles, no question.

The Stones were a better live band but, as songwriters, the Beatles win, hands down. "I Saw Her Standing There" is the first great rocker of the 1960s.

And, yes, all things considered, Rubber Soul (1965) is generally considered to be their best album, over all.

The Beatles, no question.

The Stones were a better live band but, as songwriters, the Beatles win, hands down. "I Saw Her Standing There" is the first great rocker of the 1960s.

And, yes, all things considered, Rubber Soul (1965) is generally considered to be their best album, over all.
Did you hear them at the Super Bowl Halftime show two years ago? That was the most dreadful racket this side of scratching a chalkboard with fingernails!

I don't think she was the main downfall. If he had a clear head she wouldn't had been around probably. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back