The Paper Pastor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
Lately I've been thinking through some issues I'm dealing with regarding church attendance/membership. Like perhaps so many others, I've enjoyed listening to all kinds of sermons that are 24-7 at our finger-tips via the internet. They are a blessing, but they have their place.

This morning I visited the website of a church in the Worcester, MA area called Bethlehem Bible Church. I was poking around and followed a link which I guess is what they use to send out theological emails to those interested in their congregation. The first email I came to was this one, it spoke to me and I thought I'd pass it along.
Paper Pastors

...But others do attend a church - physically. They come in, they sit down. They sing, they may give financially. They may look at you, Pastor, as you preach.

But you know their heart belongs to another.

Their real pastor isn't you. It's Dave Hunt. Or it's John Piper. Or it's John MacArthur, or Ligon Duncan, or Mark Dever, or David Cloud, or Joel Osteen. Or it's Charles Spurgeon, or D. M. Lloyd-Jones, or J. C. Ryle. Or Calvin, or Luther, or Bahnsen, or de Mar, or R. B. Thieme, or J. Vernon McGee.

And they're such better pastors than you are! You know they are!

Why?

Well, paper pastors are never in a bad mood. They're never cranky, or sleepy or sick. (Especially the dead ones.) They've never just had someone else pull their guts out with a rusty fork, and then had to turn and listen graciously to your complaint about the translation they preach from, or argue about a Greek word you can't even pronounce. They don't have a family who loses the time you use. They never half-listen, never have an appointment that cuts short their time. Their office hours are your office hours. They're available 24/7, and everywhere, at your whim, and you always have their undivided attention.

What's more is they always have all the answers! They can tell you with complete confidence and masterful eloquence. They never stammer, guess, nor search their memory. And they can prove it - whatever they're saying! With footnotes!

And these paper pastors maintain the perfect distance. If you don't want to hear something, they don't press it - or you can instantly shut them up, snap! They never ask you to do something uncomfortable and follow up on you. They never persistently probe an area of sin, in you, in person, eyeball to eyeball... nor will they. Church discipline will not be a threat with them. Ever.

Because they don't know you from Adam.

Yet how many pastors know that there are people in their flocks, thinking, "John Piper would never say it that way. Dave Hunt says that what he just preached is heresy. John MacArthur isn't like that. Mahaney says that... Mohler says that... Lloyd-Jones said...."

So, because it's awkward for your pastor to say it to you - and because I've no church who'd suspect I'm talking to them, at the moment - I'll just tell you plain:

Brother, sister: John Piper isn't your pastor. John MacArthur knows nothing about you. Dave Hunt never got on his knees and prayed for you. Lloyd-Jones won't come to your house when you're recovering from surgery, or one of your children shatters your heart, or your marriage is shaking and rocking and barely hanging on. Charles Spurgeon won't weep with you as you weep.

You could buy or not buy _____'s next book, and he'd never know it. But if you're in a manageable-size church with a caring pastor and you're suddenly gone next Sunday, he'll be concerned. He may call. He may ask if everything's okay.

God gave you the pastor He gave you.

God told Paul to tell you:

We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. (1 Thessalonians 5:12-13)

God told the writer to the Hebrews to tell you:

Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you. (Hebrews 13:17)

Your flesh-and-blood pastor can't compete with these paper pastors for the same reason you can't compete with paper women and paper men. because they're not real.

For the King's honor,

Thanks for posting that. And, I agree with the writer. I see WAY too many people who fall into the category of critiquing their pastor to one of the 'superstars'. I find this to be extremely common among the college aged and twenty somethings who are new to Reformed Doctrine. It is not limited to that age group however.

This brings up another point as well.

Many pastors I know almost entirely think of their job in terms of preaching and teaching from the pulpit. Their counseling/mentoring/one-on-one shparding time is a very small small part of their ministry. They cannot be bothered by their people because they need to knock out some sermons. They mostly do not even take calls from their study because, well, it is their "study" and not an office.

If that is the case, he might as well be a paper pastor.

But, I do think this was a very good article.

I believe part of what Pergy is describing is due to the increased pressures for pastors to be able to preach home runs every single week like the fellows on the radio, internet, etc. "I mean, those radio preachers are able to preach finely honed sermons every day of the week. My pastor can hardly crank out two consistent sermons each week, and most of them are just ho-hum."

I know this is an issue with many pastors, because we have talked about it. Unfortunately the 'media preachers' have unwittingly shaped the expectations of the pulpit, and in so doing have warped the perceptions of what a good pastor is to be.

Many pastors I know almost entirely think of their job in terms of preaching and teaching from the pulpit. Their counseling/mentoring/one-on-one shparding time is a very small small part of their ministry. They cannot be bothered by their people because they need to knock out some sermons. They mostly do not even take calls from their study because, well, it is their "study" and not an office.

I think many do fall prey to what you describe, though I am very wary of saying it's a problem with the pastor. In most cases I'm aware of (which is admittedly small), I think it's more of an issue with their church governing structure.

The deacons and elders are paper-deacons and paper-elders. I have absolutely no problem with a pastor who sees his primary duties as preaching and teaching, as ours does. He preaches 3 sermons a week, and teaches 3 non-Wed/Sun. classes for our members, along with lecturing occasionally at the seminary. And he is incredibly blessed in his ability to do those things. But they take time.

A pastor with a special gift for teaching and preaching should be allowed to express those gifts fully. However, he is severely held back if there is not a plurality of serious, involved fellow elders and pastors who also teach, but have a first focus on the shepherding of people. Of course there should be overlap, but no pastor, even in a small church, can perform all the teaching, mentoring, shepherding, follow-up, hospital visits, and preaching that needs to be done, etc. all by himself without running himself or his family into the ground at some point.

I guess I'm just saying that every elder and pastor needs to be involved in all of what church leadership is exists for...but a one-man show in all of them is not sustainable nor healthy.

I believe part of what Pergy is describing is due to the increased pressures for pastors to be able to preach home runs every single week like the fellows on the radio, internet, etc. "I mean, those radio preachers are able to preach finely honed sermons every day of the week. My pastor can hardly crank out two consistent sermons each week, and most of them are just ho-hum."

I know this is an issue with many pastors, because we have talked about it. Unfortunately the 'media preachers' have unwittingly shaped the expectations of the pulpit, and in so doing have warped the perceptions of what a good pastor is to be.

Aha, I think you're onto something there! Thanks for the insight.

-----Added 6/6/2009 at 10:38:05 EST-----

I think many do fall prey to what you describe, though I am very wary of saying it's a problem with the pastor. In most cases I'm aware of (which is admittedly small), I think it's more of an issue with their church governing structure.

The deacons and elders are paper-deacons and paper-elders. I have absolutely no problem with a pastor who sees his primary duties as preaching and teaching, as ours does. He preaches 3 sermons a week, and teaches 3 non-Wed/Sun. classes for our members, along with lecturing occasionally at the seminary. And he is incredibly blessed in his ability to do those things. But they take time.

A pastor with a special gift for teaching and preaching should be allowed to express those gifts fully. However, he is severely held back if there is not a plurality of serious, involved fellow elders and pastors who also teach, but have a first focus on the shepherding of people. Of course there should be overlap, but no pastor, even in a small church, can perform all the teaching, mentoring, shepherding, follow-up, hospital visits, and preaching that needs to be done, etc. all by himself without running himself or his family into the ground at some point.

I guess I'm just saying that every elder and pastor needs to be involved in all of what church leadership is exists for...but a one-man show in all of them is not sustainable nor healthy.

I guess the ideal is several elders, the other elders giving the pastor time to preach while they get intimately involved with the people on a one-to-one basis.

Given this, WOW, how do the bi-vocational guys do it all! Especially if they have not a solid body of elders to assist them! All the more reason to pray for our pastors!

Given this, WOW, how do the bi-vocational guys do it all! Especially if they have not a solid body of elders to assist them! All the more reason to pray for our pastors!

Yes Pray!! We can't get it all done. It takes a cadre of elders in a church with a full paid pastor. Most bi-vocational pastors are in situations where they are the only elder or work with one other elder at best. A bi-vocational pastor gets very little sleep, has very little 'alone' time, has very little discretionary finances (if any; and, frankly is tired a lot of the time and exhausted the rest.

The prayers of the saints are vital to us. There are many times that I know that it is only the power of God that enables me to stand up under the calling he has made. That is one of the blessings of such a strenuous ministry. There is not coasting. It keeps you in a sharp awareness of your own frailty and inability. And, it makes you desperate for the presence and power of God.

I hope I never lose that - regardless of the situation.

i'm guilty

I am very much guilty of allegience to paper pastors. I read some of them everyday, I listen to some of them every week, I even watch video of some of them quite often and I cherish them because they illumine the word to me. They feed me with real spiritual food. And because of them I have developed an acute taste for deep, meaty, feasting on the Word.

Then I go to my church and listen to my pastor and I leave hungry. The shallow, self-help, feel-good, 5-steps to a better life "sermons" entertain many, but they do not satisfy the hunger for those who have tasted good preaching.

I know that the paper pastors are not a sufficient substitute. My pastor does actually know me from Adam. I have no idea if he has ever prayed for me on his knees. He probably would come see me if I had surgury, but I doubt if he would miss me if I wasn't there one Sunday.

The ideal would be to have a real pastor with the qualities of my paper pastors. I pray for this. But in the mean time, my paper pastors serve a purpose, and fill a need that otherwise is not being filled, and I thank God for my paper pastors.

I am very much guilty of allegience to paper pastors. I read some of them everyday, I listen to some of them every week, I even watch video of some of them quite often and I cherish them because they illumine the word to me. They feed me with real spiritual food. And because of them I have developed an acute taste for deep, meaty, feasting on the Word.

Then I go to my church and listen to my pastor and I leave hungry. The shallow, self-help, feel-good, 5-steps to a better life "sermons" entertain many, but they do not satisfy the hunger for those who have tasted good preaching.

I know that the paper pastors are not a sufficient substitute. My pastor does actually know me from Adam. I have no idea if he has ever prayed for me on his knees. He probably would come see me if I had surgury, but I doubt if he would miss me if I wasn't there one Sunday.

The ideal would be to have a real pastor with the qualities of my paper pastors. I pray for this. But in the mean time, my paper pastors serve a purpose, and fill a need that otherwise is not being filled, and I thank God for my paper pastors.

Brother, you are an elder. Have you shared this with your co-labourer? If he is not preaching the doctrines of God then he shouldn't be in the pulpit. You are unsure if he prays for you, a fellow elder? I'm genuinely stunned. :think:

I am an mp3 junkie and listen to great preachers every day, all day long in my office. But, unlike you, I have a good pastor to go to Sunday. I disagree with my pastor on many things but to me the fellowship and the one on one is worth a world of paper pastors.

I will pray for you brother that your situation will change.

Well, paper pastors are never in a bad mood. They're never cranky, or sleepy or sick. (Especially the dead ones.) They've never just had someone else pull their guts out with a rusty fork, and then had to turn and listen graciously to your complaint about the translation they preach from, or argue about a Greek word you can't even pronounce. They don't have a family who loses the time you use. They never half-listen, never have an appointment that cuts short their time. Their office hours are your office hours. They're available 24/7, and everywhere, at your whim, and you always have their undivided attention.

And how often do they have to lead worship as well as preach because your worship leader decides to step down without finding a replacement?!?!?!?!

And how often do they have to lead worship as well as preach because your worship leader decides to step down without finding a replacement?!?!?!?!

And the worship leader's wife is the pianist.

Brother, you are an elder. Have you shared this with your co-labourer? If he is not preaching the doctrines of God then he shouldn't be in the pulpit. You are unsure if he prays for you, a fellow elder? I'm genuinely stunned. :think:

Yes, this does seem out of the ordinary considering you are a RE and the pastor and you serve on the same Session. You might need to bring this up with him on a one to one basis. Also, speak with your fellow RE's about your feelings on this matter.

And they have to set up the chairs themselves!

I'm waiting for the follow up.."paper parishioners" (those who have their names on the membership papers, but never help with anything).

And they have to set up the chairs themselves!

And put out the piano, table and pulpit.

Ken, I think we have the same situation, just different time zones.

-----Added 6/7/2009 at 08:42:54 EST-----

That's your problem right there! You CANNOT worship the Lord with cheap Walmart foldable chairs! :p

Say what?!

Great topic for a thread. A pastor-friend of mine, a very fine minister, told me he feels like he is in the wrong job every time he hears Joel Beeke on tape!

Perhaps part of the answer is to make conscious efforts to incorporate actively the preaching of our own minister in our private and family devotions - in a sense, to use the weekly sermons at other times as a quasi-MP3!

My own minister provides very useful notes of his sermon after - definitely not before! - he has preached it, and I know many families in the congregation actively seek to make it a discussion piece.

I've already posted on this thread but I forgot to say, "Great thread!" Someone has been needing to say this for a long time.

Great topic for a thread. A pastor-friend of mine, a very fine minister, told me he feels like he is in the wrong job every time he hears Joel Beeke on tape!

Perhaps part of the answer is to make conscious efforts to incorporate actively the preaching of our own minister in our private and family devotions - in a sense, to use the weekly sermons at other times as a quasi-MP3!

My own minister provides very useful notes of his sermon after - definitely not before! - he has preached it, and I know many families in the congregation actively seek to make it a discussion piece.

I totally agree! What many parishoners don't know is that your pastor is actually thinking about you when writing/delivering his sermon. He takes what he knows about you and your situation and your prayers and your family and your community and you struggles and they shape the message. Maybe his messages are not works of art but are works of love directly for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back