The Passive And Active Receiving Of Christ - A Time Gap Between The Two Often Exists

Status
Not open for further replies.

moral necessity

Puritan Board Junior
I thought this idea might be of some good use to think through, as a certain grasp of it can help clarify and solve many of the debates members have had on the PB, as to such topics as when do we receive Christ, how do we receive him, when are we justified, can we be justified apart from understanding or agreeing to certain doctrines, etc... It was very helpful to me in other ways besides these, and helped me to better put together the puzzle pieces, as regards the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives. May it be a blessing to you.

"...Thus we are first passive, and then active, in this great work of mystical union; we are first apprehended of Christ, and then we apprehend Christ. Christ entered first into the soul, to join Himself to it, by giving it the spirit of faith; and so the soul receives Christ and His Spirit by their own power; as the sun first enlightens our eyes, and then we see it by its own light. We may further note, to the glory and grace of God, that this union is fully accomplished by Christ, giving the spirit of faith to us, even before we act that faith in the reception of Him; because, by this grace or spirit of faith, the soul is inclined and disposed to an active receiving of Christ. And, no doubt, Christ is thus united to many infants, who have the spirit of faith, and yet cannot act faith, because they are not come to the use of their understandings; but those of riper years, that are joined passively to Christ by the spirit of faith, will also join themselves actively, by the act of faith, and, until they act this faith, they cannot know or enjoy their union with Christ, and the comfort of it, or make use of it, in acting any other duties of holiness acceptably in this life."- Walter Marshall - The Gospel Mystery Of Sanctification - pp.33,34.

Blessings and fellowship!

Apart from the question of those dying in infancy, which is speculative at best, I balk at the idea of a time gap between regeneration and faith.

Regeneration logically precedes faith (and is its immediate cause). But to suggest that there may be people walking around regenerate but not believing seems to me nowhere implied in Scripture or the Confessions. :think:

Apart from the question of those dying in infancy, which is speculative at best, I balk at the idea of a time gap between regeneration and faith.

Regeneration logically precedes faith (and is its immediate cause). But to suggest that there may be people walking around regenerate but not believing seems to me nowhere implied in Scripture or the Confessions. :think:

Thanks for your thoughts! In my mind, it's hard to see infants as exceptions to the rule (not that you were saying that, but many that I've met actually do). To me, as I'm sure you agree, God has to be consistent in the way of redeeming all of man from the sin passed to us through Adam, in order to be just. I guess I just scrutinize things to infinitum to try to find that consistency. But, I don't think this quote is saying that there is a gap between regeneration and faith, but rather between the implanting of the spirit of faith in regeneration and the actual bearing out of that fruit of faith in the believing on of Christ. He seems to say that the spirit of faith or seeds of faith are given at regeneration. And, that the implantation of these seeds is where Christ unites himself to us and salvation occurs and justification is applied. But, it is not enjoyed or made use of by us until that seed of faith has ripened into an actual fruit of action within us. I think John the Baptist would be a good example from scripture regarding this, as may Nebuchadnezzar.

Blessings and kind regards!

He seems to say that the spirit of faith or seeds of faith are given at regeneration. And, that the implantation of these seeds is where Christ unites himself to us and salvation occurs and justification is applied. But, it is not enjoyed or made use of by us until that seed of faith has ripened into an actual fruit of action within us. I think John the Baptist would be a good example from scripture regarding this, as may Nebuchadnezzar.

Blessings and kind regards!

Wow! :think: This explains a lot to me. Thanks so much for posting the Marshall piece: it's fascinating.

Margaret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back