The permissibility of purchasing from wicked companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confessor

Puritan Board Senior
When is it permissible to purchase goods from a company if it is known that they are wicked in their means of production? Certainly the presence of sin in the means of production cannot immediately disallow us from purchasing from the company (otherwise we couldn't buy anything), but it seems there is a line somewhere (e.g. a company who unabashedly uses sweat shops, and whose proceeds go to benefit an abortion clinic).

Paul's comments in 1 Corinthians 10 come to mind, especially vv. 25 ff. But I'm not sure how to apply that to this context, as he is referring to not making others stumble, not to the investigation of truly evil practices.

I have a friend who is very conscientious about looking into the practices of a company, for he does not desire to buy any goods from a wicked company -- I thought that background would be important.

As for which companies can actually be declared wicked as opposed to righteous, I'm not sure.

There is no simple answer, but I would encourage using your spending power to influence behavior in a godly direction where you can discern that.

People have much more power in a free system to influence behavior and the peace of their society than they realize. Most scandalously immoral behavior is only done for money. No money, the behavior changes- not necessarily for a right motive (to please their Creator), but it changes- and all society benefits.

God is glorified when His creatures outwardly obey, even those who do not believe in Him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back