The Place Where Reformed Theology and Life Hang Out and Eat a Burger (A New Podcast!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACBRown

Puritan Board Freshman
3GT logo8.jpg

Gentle Reformation bloggers, Barry York, Kyle Borg and Austin Brown, are excited to present a new podcast, 3GT. Three Guys Theologizing.

It’s quite simple, really. We want to bring you a show that blends the interesting and humorous with the distinctly theological.

In a word, we want to be substantively entertaining. Well, that’s two words, but you get the idea.

In order to accomplish this feat, a professor, a pastor and a mailman have been thrown together, microphones in hand, ready to talk about everything from the supremely mundane to the uniquely bizarre. Think of us having Calvin’s Institutes open with a baseball cap on or discussing Jonathan Edwards while eating a burger.

This is the place where theology bumps squarely into everyday life.

Just to give you an idea of what we talk about, in the first episode we discussed the horn-like shingle that popped out on one of our foreheads, we told stories of being attacked by frothy-mouthed dogs (one was a pit bull!), we explored the joys and terrors of ordination to the pastorate (think examination), and a fair bit of time was spent talking about small town living with an emphasis upon Kyle’s dog, Huckleberry, who has become something of a town mascot.

I'd love to hear feedback.

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
If nothing else listen to our second episode. There I recommend 5 Christian and 5 secular podcasts. I'd also toss into the mix, which I didn't mention there, Reformed Pubcast. Not too bad. I just started listening to it, so I can't say strongly either way.

From someone who enjoys listening to podcasts throughout the day, instead of music, I have two recommendations:
1) Add some sort of an introduction that introduces both the podcast itself and the content of that specific episode. Many podcasts play a clip of a song or a series of sound-bytes at the beginning of every episode. Following that, they give a brief overview of the episode.
2) Do not hesitate to post shorter episodes. Most of us do not have 1+ hrs to listen to a podcast. I appreciate podcasts that have a good variety of both shorter (20 minutes) and longer (45+ minutes) episodes. That way I can select an episode based on how much time I have.

The Place Where Reformed Theology and Life Hang Out and Eat a Burger (A New P...

I love the tone of the podcast and the topics that are up for discussion, but I agree with mgkortus too. Take inspiration from the likes of White Horse Inn (30-35 mins per episode), Mortification of Spin (20-25 mins per episode, and you can't do anything about the lack of English wit!!) and Theology on the Go (15-25 Length is an issue for me, 20-25 mins per episode). In terms of the breadth of topics, it might be better to deal with one or two per episode, rather than all once. That way, you can be more targeted in what you're putting out. Record more than one episode in each "chat" with the other hosts, but release them over a longer period of time to allow for maximum user immersion in what you're doing. But like I said, really good stuff so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orco and Mgcortus,

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.

We're actually in the process of debating the length of the podcast and will probably make it a discussion point in episode 4.

They lean toward going shorter. I am arguing for longer.

I will be presenting 3-4 arguments in favor of longer. One reply might be as follows: Oh, hey, you don't have to listen to all of it at once. It is segmented into, well, segments. Just do one or two and then stop. I do this all the time with other more segmented podcasts (like Hello Internet or This American Life). But for those of us who inject steroids into our ears and gorge large amounts of podcasts during the week, we like longer podcasts. I actually steer away from shorter podcasts. Go figure, right?

As to your point, Mgcortus, about needing an intro and/or outro. That is certainly typical and most do it. I'm following another track, one that is done masterfully by Hello Internet. That is my working model (largely because I like it so much). It's just a taste thing. I don't see us changing that... but now length... I may very lose on that one. We'll have to see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back