The polishing of new Christians (Thomas Brooks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
A Christian at first conversion is but rough cast, but as holiness is increased, so becomes more and more every day to be prepared, polished, squared, and fitted for a full and glorious fruition of God in heaven. Job v. 26.

Thomas Brooks, The Crown and Glory of Christianity; or Holiness, the only way to Happiness. Discovered in LVIII Sermons from Heb. 12. 14 (1662) in The Works of Thomas Brooks, ed. Alexander B. Grossart (6 vols, Edinburgh: James Nichol, 1861-67), 4: 351.

What does this polishing mean? I know folks as slick as used car salesmen who appear polished and use fine words but have lied to me, while rough country folks have been the most honest I've ever met, and who have given me the best (and most biblical) advice ever, yet between spitting out their tobacco or peeing behind a tree.

Not trying to be sarcastic. I am honestly looking for what a polished Christian looks like. Visibly what does the difference between "rough cast" and "polished" look like?

The metaphor seems to be a building analogy. You start with a rough hewn stone and the mason chips away at it until it is square and smooth, ready to fit properly into its place in the building. It implies that sanctification may be a slow and painful process as bits of us are chipped away, but the divine architect has a particular shape in mind for us, toward which he is constantly working.

The metaphor seems to be a building analogy. You start with a rough hewn stone and the mason chips away at it until it is square and smooth, ready to fit properly into its place in the building. It implies that sanctification may be a slow and painful process as bits of us are chipped away, but the divine architect has a particular shape in mind for us, toward which he is constantly working.

Excellent. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back