The Practical Works of Richard Baxter Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Most of The Practical Works of Richard Baxter (23 volumes) are available online here:

Vol. 1 (including The Life and Times of Richard Baxter)

Vol. 2 (including The Christian Directory, Part I, Christian Ethics)

Vol. 3 (including The Christian Directory, Part I, Christian Ethics)

Vol. 4 (including The Christian Directory, Part II, Christian Economics)

Vol. 5 (including The Christian Directory, Part III, Christian Ecclesiastics)

Vol. 6 (including The Christian Directory, Part IV, Christian Politics)

Vol. 7 (including A Treatise of Conversion and A Call to the Unconverted)

Vol. 10 (including The One Thing Necessary)

Vol. 11 (including a Treatise of Self-Denial)

Vol. 12 (including The Life of Faith)

Vol. 13 (including The Divine Life, The Divine Appointment of the Lord's Day, Proved, Redemption of Time and Preface to Mr. Alleine's Alarm)

Vol. 15 (including The Reformed Liturgy)

Vol. 16 (including The Mischiefs of Self-Ignorance, and the Benefits of Self-Acquaintance and The True Catholic, and Catholic Church Described)

Vol. 17 (including The Vain Religion of the Formal Hypocrite)

Vol. 18 (including Dying Thoughts on Phil. 1.23 and A Mother's Catechism)

Vol. 19 (including The Catechising of Families and The Poor Man's Family Book)

Vol. 21 (including The Reasons of the Christian Religion)

Vol. 22 (including The Saints Everlasting Rest)

Vol. 23 (including The Saints Everlasting Rest)

:wow: If I can make this work, it will be awesome. I have coveted the "Christian Directory" for some time now but its like $150! Thanks Andrew!

:wow: If I can make this work, it will be awesome. I have coveted the "Christian Directory" for some time now but its like $150! Thanks Andrew!

I believe you can get it at http://www.solid-ground-books.com I think I paid about $42 but it's backorded. This was the least expensive I could find. From what I've heard, as a biblical counselor, I can't do without it. Looking forward to my book coming soon in the mail.

I believe you can get it at http://www.solid-ground-books.com I think I paid about $42 but it's backorded. This was the least expensive I could find. From what I've heard, as a biblical counselor, I can't do without it. Looking forward to my book coming soon in the mail.

:amen: That is what I have heard as well. And thanks for the tip because I could not get it to download properly.

What am I doing wrong, Andrew? I got 521 pages of nothin'!

Christian Directory is a very valuable compendium of insights into the Christian walk. I don't agree with everything that Baxter says, but he addresses so many scenarios and questions and usually very soundly that this is one of the great Puritan casuistic works.

Ken, I'm not sure what you're doing but I tried to download all 5 volumes relating to the Christian Directory and was able to generate 5 pdf files successfully which appear to be complete and very readable.

There is something to be said, of course, for getting the one-volume Soli Deo Gloria edition, which I have and refer to often.

For those interested in reading Richard Baxter's list of recommended books for a pastoral library found in A Christian Directory (Vol. 5 of his Practical Works), see here.

Directory is out of print for the time being, so don't expect it any time soon. Sad, I know.

Vol. 19 of his works includes The Poor Man's Family Book. Wikipedia says:

In 1674, Baxter cast in a new form the substance of Arthur Dent's book The Plain Man's Pathway to Heaven under the title, The Poor Man's Family Book. In this way, Arthur Dent of South Shoebury was a link between Baxter and another great Puritan John Bunyan [Arthur Dent's The Plain Man's Pathway to Heaven was influential in the conversion of John Bunyan. -- RAM].

Andrew, do you know if the unabridged autobiography of Baxter is online anywhere? I purchased a volume, but was disappointed to discover that it was abridged and gave it away.

Andrew,

Thanks, again! Being a member of this board has been a wonderful experience. However, you always add value to the "value added" dimension of belonging with your marvelous tips!

Andrew, do you know if the unabridged autobiography of Baxter is online anywhere? I purchased a volume, but was disappointed to discover that it was abridged and gave it away.

Reuben -- I have a copy of Reliquiae Baxterianae, but I've not found it online unabridged. If I do, I'll let you know!

Andrew,

Thanks, again! Being a member of this board has been a wonderful experience. However, you always add value to the "value added" dimension of belonging with your marvelous tips!

Dennis -- Glad to have you with us, brother! I have learned much here myself. In fact, the more I learn, the more I come to know what I don't know, you know what I mean? And I do appreciate your kind words. Blessings! :handshake:

Reuben -- This may be of interest from Joel Beeke & Randall Pederson, Meet the Puritans, p. 70:

Reliquiae Baxterianae (RE [Maranatha Publications]; 312 pages, n.d.). This work contains considerably less than half of the original which first appeared in 1696 under the editorship of Matthew Sylvester. While the original, which has never been reprinted in its entirety, has been called "a confused and shapeless hulk," it remains an important source for seventeenth-century history. Edmund Calamy (1671-1732) condensed Baxter's work into a more readable edition and published it in 1702. In 1925, J.M. Lloyd Thomas edited an unsatisfactory abridgment, The Autobiography of Richard Baxter (London: Dent). The current edition, published in the 1990s, though uneven in quality, contains fascinating insights into Baxter's life and offers valuable nuggets of wisdom, particularly for ministers.

I believe you can get it at http://solid-ground-books.com Solid Christian Books for the whole family I think I paid about $42 but it's backorded. This was the least expensive I could find. From what I've heard, as a biblical counselor, I can't do without it. Looking forward to my book coming soon in the mail.

Directory is out of print for the time being, so don't expect it any time soon. Sad, I know.

Have Soli Deo Gloria stopped publishing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back