The Prayer of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
Luke 22:31-32 31 "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat; 32 but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."

Acknowledging Christ as mediator (as well understanding exactly what that implies), would you consider it to be absurd to pray to Christ to pray for your needs to the Father, much like he prayed for Peter in the above citation? Is it a fundamental that we have not considered?

[bible]Hebrews 7:25[/bible]

Jesus does intercede for us before the Father. I do not believe that is questionable. But should we ask Jesus to go to the Father on our behalf? I don't believe that is necessary. Jesus' mediatorial role does not depend on our asking Him to pray to the Father. Jesus does this anyway.

:2cents:

[bible]Hebrews 7:25[/bible]

Jesus does intercede for us before the Father. I do not believe that is questionable. But should we ask Jesus to go to the Father on our behalf? I don't believe that is necessary. Jesus' mediatorial role does not depend on our asking Him to pray to the Father. Jesus does this anyway.

:2cents:

I hear you Bill, thats why I placed the statement in parenthesis. None the less, the scriptures make a point in showing that Christ told Peter that He prayed for him; When was the last time you asked Christ to pray for you? mediation is one thing, but having Christ pray for you is another; I could be wrong. Why didn't Christ just mediate for Peter if that is the typical thing he does. I believe the RC's mention something of this nature in their liturgy, i.e. "Christ pray for us...."

Thinking out loud here..........

I hear you Bill, thats why I placed the statement in parenthesis. None the less, the scriptures make a point in showing that Christ told Peter that He prayed for him; When was the last time you asked Christ to pray for you? mediation is one thing, but having Christ pray for you is another; I could be wrong. Why didn't Christ just mediate for Peter if that is the typical thing he does. I believe the RC's mention something of this nature in their liturgy, i.e. "Christ pray for us...."

Thinking out loud here..........

Scott, I'll grant you that asking Jesus to pray for us does not seem to be in error. But as I understand Jesus' mediatorial role it is not necessary to do so. The scripture does say:

[bible]Matthew 6:8[/bible]

I hear what you're saying, I am just nervous about making prayer a formula.

Scott, I'll grant you that asking Jesus to pray for us does not seem to be in error. But as I understand Jesus' mediatorial role it is not necessary to do so. The scripture does say:

[bible]Matthew 6:8[/bible]

I hear what you're saying, I am just nervous about making prayer a formula.

Bill, the statement about 'formula' is another thread. ;)

The passage you provide is prefaced by this:

Matthew 6:7 7 "And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition, as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. Matthew 6:8 8 "Therefore do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need, before you ask Him.

So, I don't know if it's relevant. I believe we had a thread earlier somewhere we it was asked if it would be wrong to pray directly to the HS.

All I'm saying, pondering, it would seem that it is probably a option we fail to identify with; asking Christ to pray for us.

All I'm saying, pondering, it would seem that it is probably a option we fail to identify with; asking Christ to pray for us.

I don't disagree on the "probably a option" comment. That is why I wrote in earlier in this thread, "I'll grant you that asking Jesus to pray for us does not seem to be in error."

Meg,
I was thinking more literally; Specifically asking Christ to pray for us.

Scott -

Isn't the incident you cited simply a narrative of an incident in the human lives of Christ and Peter? We should be very careful applying normativity to narrative events like this. Christ most certainly prayed to the Father on Peter's behalf, then. Why is it then logical that we should be now praying to Christ, asking Him to pray to the Father for us? I don't think it follows from this incident, and I don't see any precedent for it here or elsewhere.

Todd

toddpedlar;

Isn't the incident you cited simply a narrative of an incident in the human lives of Christ and Peter? We should be very careful applying normativity to narrative events like this. Christ most certainly prayed to the Father on Peter's behalf, then. Why is it then logical that we should be now praying to Christ, asking Him to pray to the Father for us? I don't think it follows from this incident, and I don't see any precedent for it here or elsewhere.

I was thinking the same thing, Christ knew (had foreknowledge) concerning what was about to happen, He even told Peter...

"Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat;

Makes me wonder how many times satan has demanded permission to 'sift us like wheat'....

But we also notice what Christ said next...

but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."

Peter didn't ask for prayer...Christ said He has already prayed, and based on what Christ told him, He already knew how Peter would do.

I say, "I look to the tender mercies of my Lord Jesus Christ. Pray for me!," all the time, in my supplications and prayers. I acknowledge my Lord's mediatorial role. (Oh and I skip past praying to Jesus' mom since I am not Catholic.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back