The Present Advantage of Godliness

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
The 5th Commandment is famously called by Paul, the first commandment with promise. In his Practical Exposition of the Ten Commandments James Durham explains the benefit of the promise godliness has for the life that now is.

But what advantage have godly men by these temporal promises?
Answer. This is not their advantage, to be always abounding in these outward things; that is, neither so de facto and eventually, nor were it meet it should be so. But 1. They have a promise of what is needful and useful simply, even of temporal things, which no wicked man has. They shall (Psa. 84) want no good thing; yea, though lions suffer hunger (Psa. 34:10), yet they that seek the Lord shall not want any good thing.
2. They may pray for these things so far as they are needful, and may confidently expect them, and go to God for them, by virtue of that right, ere they get them. So it is our daily bread by allowance, and promised before we get it (Matt. 6:11).
3. If a natural man abound, he cannot promise himself the continuance of meat till the end of his life; no, not so much as his dinner tomorrow, nor life till then. But, if a believer live, he may expect the continuance of as much food as shall be necessary for him; if he have nothing, he may confidently promise himself both life and food tomorrow, if either or both of them be needful, more than a wicked man, that has more wealth, health, and outward protection, can do.
4. He may promise himself the blessing, and the sanctified use of what he enjoys, which another cannot.
5. He may have peace, whether he have or want, in the enjoyment of creatures, or in their scarcity, because he has a right to them; for it is not from want of right to creature-comforts that scarcity of them comes, but God, like a wise and skilful physician, keeps back meat for health, where there is abundance in the right, and to be given also when needful. So that, comparing him with a wicked man, whether he have or want, whether he enjoy more plentifully, or be in scarcity, he has still the better of him by far; which should make us all love godliness the more, which has so great an advantage as this attending it.

The problem with such thoughts is that they are of little value to those who are actually going through those crises, even though those thoughts are true. So, I'm going to have breakfast tomorrow, even though I've got incurable cancer. I'll have lunch, even though my wife walked out. I'll have a crust for dinner, even though I've been stabbed in the back and feel like dying. Big deal.

Not to be too cynical, but again, while those points are true, when you've been in that valley for a significant length of time, a person needs more comfort than that. Again, cynical mode on, but I once had a room mate who's dad was filthy rich, was handsome, had a great job waiting for him, had the best looking girl in our church throw herself at him, etc.. and he told me once "If God is always happy, why can't you be?" and somehow it didn't go down that well with me.

One of those benefits is peace- in the midst of difficult circumstances.

And that peace is, for the Christian, abiding in it- more real than the circumstances.

And that peace doesn't come by reading a devotional. It's impossible, and solely a work of the Spirit. And please forgive my cynicism.

The problem with such thoughts is that they are of little value to those who are actually going through those crises, even though those thoughts are true. So, I'm going to have breakfast tomorrow, even though I've got incurable cancer. I'll have lunch, even though my wife walked out. I'll have a crust for dinner, even though I've been stabbed in the back and feel like dying. Big deal.

Not to be too cynical, but again, while those points are true, when you've been in that valley for a significant length of time, a person needs more comfort than that. Again, cynical mode on, but I once had a room mate who's dad was filthy rich, was handsome, had a great job waiting for him, had the best looking girl in our church throw herself at him, etc.. and he told me once "If God is always happy, why can't you be?" and somehow it didn't go down that well with me.

Which is why you may want to bear in mind that this is a pretty narrowly-focussed quote: since the 5th commandment contains a promise which is expressed in temporal terms, Durham takes the opportunity to address the question of the value of the temporal advantage of godliness: it's not his purpose to expound on the eternal advantages of godliness, nor is he dealing with someone in the midst of great affliction; he's simply expounding Scripture in a sort of Sunday School lesson. If you can find a recommendation in the quote to focus on this sort of thing for people enduring tragedy, please point it out!

That being said, it is a duty to be grateful for every kindness, whether it affects the main affliction or not. On one of the worst nights of my life, when I'd just found out that my best friend had died rather horribly, I was still glad that a neighbor came over and fixed our water pump at 11:00 at night so that shower and sink and all were functional; of course, that he prayed with us first was a bigger help, but his generosity in sacrifing his late evening to take care of our physical needs as well as the added convenience were also blessings. If you'll excuse my cynicism about human nature, not having anything to eat rarely helps the situation at all.

I think we should take it as a mark of God's lovingkindness that He gives us comfort for even the smaller trials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back