The Problem with Millennials

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
I have been thinking about this, my generation and what their problem is. They try to tout themselves as compassionate, loving, empathetic, etc., etc. Yet nothing could be further from the truth. I believe it is none of those. Rather it is the self esteem generation, the selfish generation. They say they are compassionate but, the reality is they want to be affirmed in everything they do and tend to want others as well, right or wrong.
What do you think? Obviously, this isn't the only reason they fleeing common sense in droves but, a large component of it.

I agree with you about the need for constant affirmation. That is what is behind all these annoying selfies that teens constantly post on Facebook, they are looking for their friends to affirm that they are attractive. Uh, I have no patience with such shallowness. We really have our work cut out in reaching the next generation.

I agree. Sin is always some variant of breaking the first and second table of the law-- I.e. thinking too highly of ourselves and too little about God and our neighbor. I think our first line of defence is to be living examples of what it means to be a Christian and continue to humbly point people away from themselves so that they look to Christ. If our boast is in Christ and what He accomplished, that should make us think twice about being puffed up in ourselves.

I'm not sure that selfishness is distinctive to the Millenials. Baby Boomers and Gen Xers are also by and large pretty self-centered. Many hipsters are too old to be Millenials, after all! But the disappearance of privacy and the development of something of a fame-shame culture (as argued by Andy Crouch in a recent Christianity Today article) means that this selfishness gets expressed through public whining. And that, of course, is super annoying.

I'm not sure that selfishness is distinctive to the Millenials. Baby Boomers and Gen Xers are also by and large pretty self-centered. Many hipsters are too old to be Millenials, after all! But the disappearance of privacy and the development of something of a fame-shame culture (as argued by Andy Crouch in a recent Christianity Today article) means that this selfishness gets expressed through public whining. And that, of course, is super annoying.

Wait a minute, Ruben, as a boomer I demand affirmation too. Please tell me we are OK. We grew up in the shadow of the "Greatest Generation" and nobody ever thought we'd amount to anything. I am somebody, right?

Well, apparently some people think Boomers are the worst generation ever - that's got to feel like an accomplishment!

Actually, all generations have the same problem. It's called sin. It just tries to find a "unique" way to express itself with each passing generation, but Solomon tells us that there is nothing new under the sun.

What I said earlier was partly in jest, but there's a lot of truth to it. I saw it all the time when I used to be a teacher. Many parents basically worship their children these days. Their children can do no wrong. Their children always get the benefit of the doubt, even over responsible adults. It was especially bad I think in the high-tuition private school in which I taught, but I think it's really getting out of hand. Others who have worked with young people in recent years have probably noticed a change.

Kids are naturally selfish. The way they are spoiled today by their parents and what I call the "I-POD/I-PAD Culture" of EVERYTHING revolves around me and my tastes and preferences only enhances that selfishness and puts it on full display. I may sound like some fundamentalist wacko by saying this but I believe the use of I-Phones and I-Pads by the teens of today does a great, great disservice to them and the future of society, mainly because it naturally reinforces all of the worst things about teenagers (false sense of maturity, passive-aggressiveness, vanity, self-centeredness, etc.) Of course these can be used in a good, responsible way so don't take that to include EVERY teen, but many.

Last edited:
t I believe the use of I-Phones and I-Pads by the teens of today does a great, great disservice to them and the future of society, mainly because it naturally reinforces all of the worst things about teenagers (false sense of maturity, passive-aggressiveness, vanity, self-centeredness, etc.) Of course these can be used in a good, responsible way so don't take that to include EVERY teen, but many.

This. Yes indeed.

Also, what our brother said above regarding the human heart not changing and sinfulness simply manifesting itself in different ways is right on the money.

There is no hope for sinners but in Christ.

I am somebody, right?

I can tell that you never had the worship experience that I had at a Presbyterian church in Cleveland Ohio about 35 years ago. The Rev. Jessie Jackson led us in chants of affirmation that ":I AM somebody" (emphasis is on the 'AM'). As I understood the message, you shouldn't need someone else to tell you that you are somebody, you need to tell yourself.

Just to clarify as I realize I did not say it but, I was getting at millennials leaving the church, clinging to gay marriage, etc. etc.

I'm a bit hesitant to make too much of generalizations. Millenials are generally defined as people born from about 1980 to the mid to late nineties, although exact definitions vary. If anything, much of these generalizations seem to fit the "Generation Z" which often starts either mid to late nineties or early 2000s. This is the generation that has grown up with social media and always available Internet connection, whereas Millenials were the first to grow up with computers and more personal electronics in general.

Last edited:
I recently deliver a lecture to some Free Reformed (and beyond) youth on the subject of narcissism. As a father of 10 children, I am becoming more and more concerned with the state of our youth and young people. It's not that they are any different than we were (selfishness lives in us all), but today there is more disposable income and time to let it manifest. The title of the lecture is "Selflessness In an Age of Selfies", and can be found here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back