The Professor and the Madman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
Rare are there films I recommend, but I find amongst movies, the films I enjoy most are old war movies and films based on true stories. My wife and I recently watched the Mel Gibson/Sean Penn lead film The Professor and the Madman. This film can be enjoyed by adults and recounts the events surrounding the 1st edition of the Oxford Dictionary. Faith, forgiveness, and perseverance play a huge role in this film and the themes of the gospel were quite impactful. When believing in the Lord is mentioned, it does seem to have more of a ArminIan flavor ( ex. prevenient grace), but still refreshing for a film nonetheless. I would give 4 out of 5 stars only because I wish the film were longer!

For a Content Guide to help assist your own judgment before viewing (feel free to let me know if you have more questions on content):

ALL of the actors are dressed modest 100% of the film. Common Sense Media says for 13 years of age and up. I would agree with that generally.

P.S. You language nerds should like it:stirpot:

Last edited:
Regardless of Holywood's bias against him, Mel Gibson = Cinematic Gold.
I generally agree. I think Mel and Clint Eastwood are my 2 tops. Though there have been some films for both I could not watch personally due to content. Also, I must admit Mel Gibson seemed to loose sight of roles that suited his strengths better for many a year. My favorite Mel Gibson directed film was a depiction of the Native Americans called Apocalypto. I probably rewatch Apocalpyto, Patriot, and Braveheart every couple years. Not sure I’ve ever watched an Eastwood film (directed or acted) that I didn’t like. Penn seems to be very talented as well.

It seems clear enough that Mel has an interest in the Lord, I do hope it is genuine.

Thanks for the recommendation, Grant, and I'll second it. My wife and I had been thinking about watching a movie sometime in the near term, so we watched it last night. As a history geek I have the perhaps annoying habit of often "researching" the movies we watch against real events. In this case it seems to have kept remarkably close to true history, both in terms of its characters and plot lines, with relatively few deviations into creative license or adaptations for effective screenwriting. An amazing episode in philological history. Mel is at least nominally an "Old Catholic", which likely explains his insertion of prevenient grace into the conversation.

I thought this was an absolutely lovely movie, when I watched it a few months ago. I was surprised by the amount of pan it got from critics, but I suppose the touch of faith in it made it unpalatable to their dainty senses. ;)

I generally agree. I think Mel and Clint Eastwood are my 2 tops. Though there have been some films for both I could not watch personally due to content. Also, I must admit Mel Gibson seemed to loose sight of roles that suited his strengths better for many a year. My favorite Mel Gibson directed film was a depiction of the Native Americans called Apocalypto. I probably rewatch Apocalpyto, Patriot, and Braveheart every couple years. Not sure I’ve ever watched an Eastwood film (directed or acted) that I didn’t like. Penn seems to be very talented as well.

It seems clear enough that Mel has an interest in the Lord, I do hope it is genuine.
Apocalypto was a great and underrated movie. Sometimes when I’m reading about the Assyrians, I picture the ruthless nature of the culture depicted in that movie.

Braveheart is probably my favorite movie of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back