The Purchase of a New Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Pastor
Fellow PBers,

I'm interesting in buying a nice new study Bible. I don't really need a discussion about a particular translation. What I need is advice on what you believe is the best quality-made Bible. Binding, paper, ease of reading the font, etc. is what I'd like to see considered.

In the past I'd go to the local Christian Bookstore and find one. I do like seeing and feeling the Bible before I buy it. Unfortunately there are no decent Christian Bookstores within a reasonable driving distance from where I live.

So what do you think?

[Edited on 8-23-2006 by Ivan]

Originally posted by polemic_turtle
I love my Cambridge French Morroco Leather Bible!

But, I'm also interested in the newly retypeset and reprinted 1599 Geneva Bible. Looks good to me!

I love Cambridge Bibles! My preaching Bible is one of the large wide margin versions, and my "carry around" Bible is a smaller one without margins. Both in the AV!

If you like either the King James or NIV, then I would highly recommend Cambridge! www.cambridgebibles.com

[Edited on 8-24-2006 by theologae]

If you use the NASB, the Lockman Foundation (Foundation Publications) publishes some nicely made Bibles that aren't too expensive, and they make a few in calfskin that are premium quality. See James White's site for his link to the "Uber Bible".

I have actually seen a good number of complaints on the web about the quality of recent Cambridge Bibles. Ditto with Kirkbride and the Thompson Chain Reference, which used to be well known for quality product. From what I gather, most of the complaints are about inconsistent quality. In general, the quality of Bibles appears to have declined over the years, with most being very cheaply made.

A few years back Thomas Nelson came out with the Signature Series, which features KJV and NKJV Bibles in very nice calfskin leather. But most of the ones I've looked at appear to me to have the same paper as their other Bibles.

I don't like red letters, so in choosing a nice Bible (i.e. making a large investment) I don't want them. Unfortunately this will largely rule out some translations like the NKJV which is generally only available in "black letter" in Study Bibles like MacArthur's.

J. Mark Bertrand has some good information on Bible design and binding, especially about the ESV.

The "Genuine Leather" ESV Reformation Study Bible looks very suspiciously like bonded leather to me, and reviewers on Amazon have said the same. In terms of quality, it does not compare to the New Geneva Study Bible/Reformation Study Bible in the NKJV formerly published by Nelson (a Bible that has the same exact study notes and articles). The one improvement is the text, which is easier to read. The small font in a single column found in the old NGSB is difficult to read (for me at least). That's something else to keep in mind, the readability of the text, and the typesetting and formatting/layout. Whether you want cross-references or not is another consideration, as is wide margins for note-taking if that's something you like to do.

Amazon is a good place to go to see reviews of Bibles, but sometimes the reviews they post aren't for the same edition you are viewing. For example, the review will be of the hardcover version and you're looking at leather.

[Edited on 8-25-2006 by Pilgrim]

I would get calfskin leather. It is more durable than moroccan (sp?). 11pt font

If I were you, I would buy the study Bible, with the best font and page quality, and have it rebound with quality leather with extra ribbons, blank pages, etc. this may cost $100-$200 but the quality WILL LAST...and it feels/smells awesome.

this guy is good at binding:

http://www.mcspaddenbookbindery.com/

Gentlemen,

With your comments and links you have provided be a wealth of information and entertainment.

Monergismbooks.com is an awesome site. I haven't looked that carefully at it before. Love the other sites listed too.

Thanks, gents!

I went into a bookstore today and looked at the NASB Side-Column Reference Wide Margin. Single column text, 11pt type, and black letter (not red!). The Calfskin edition is one of the finest I've ever seen, with buttery, supple calfskin and two ribbons.

The NASB Large Print Ultrathin Reference Bible is also available in calfskin. James White calls this the "Uber Bible" ;). It has 2 column text, and I don't know if I've ever seen one in a store.

Crossway now has 2 ESV editions in calfskin as well.

Originally posted by Scott
Spirit of Reformation has the best notes.

And the quality of the leather ones I've seen are better than the ESV Reformation Study Bible. Having the Three Forms and the Westminster Standards printed in the back are a nice bonus. I would really like to see the Spirit of Reformation Study Bible come out in the NASB. Since Zondervan is a publisher for the NASB, it's not outside the realm of possiblity. The main issue is whether they think they'd make any money on it.

Originally posted by Pilgrim
Originally posted by Scott
Spirit of Reformation has the best notes.

And the quality of the leather ones I've seen are better than the ESV Reformation Study Bible. Having the Three Forms and the Westminster Standards printed in the back are a nice bonus. I would really like to see the Spirit of Reformation Study Bible come out in the NASB. Since Zondervan is a publisher for the NASB, it's not outside the realm of possiblity. The main issue is whether they think they'd make any money on it.

that would be nice. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back