The pure in heart are blessed

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10797

“Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.”

Matthew 5:8​

What does it mean to be pure in heart? On the surface, you may think this is not possible, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, as Romans 3:23 records. As we have all sinned, we have impure hearts according to Jeremiah 17:9 and Matthew 15:9. Our hearts need to be morally clean before God. For our hearts to be pure they need to be changed, that is quite evident. In and of ourselves we cannot obtain a pure heart. This is only possible through God. By completely submitting and surrendering to His ways is the heart of man changed. God grants us a changed heart as a spiritual gift. The morals of the world and the unconverted sinner are of the god of this world.

The god of this world wishes to pollute truth. Worldly morals are corrupted by the father of lies (John 8:44). Romans 12:2 say, “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” The Bible says living by the Word of God pleases the Lord. We need to be continually changed by God through both His Spirit and His Word. Psalm 119:11-12 says, “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.” Scripture is the best defense against the evil one. If we store and keep God's Word in our hearts, we are prepared for spiritual warfare.

When and only when God makes a new creation out of you will the old ways begin to die and fade away. God's saving grace not only saves us from sin but starts to change us. We should say with Charles Wesley in that great 18th-century hymn, “Love Divine, All Loves Excelling, Take away the love of sinning.” Also “pure and spotless let us be, let us see thy great salvation.” When an unconverted sinner comes under the saving grace and power of God the heart is changed. We then learn to depend on Christ and grow in our salvation, this is called sanctification. We do not become a spiritual giant overnight.

The Bible calls new believers spiritual babes in Christ. We need that good and wholesome spiritual milk which is the Word of God to grow. 1 John 3 is a chief passage on purity. Read and meditate over the passage. Are you seeking purification from sin? Do you have the desire to be pure in heart? Are you striving after sanctification and holiness? May I recommend you read Bishop J. C. Ryle's book entitled Holiness. John Charles Ryle was the first Bishop of Liverpool. He was a leading figure in the evangelical wing of the Church of England. Ryle is still much-loved today and is still relevant even though he died over 100 years ago. His many books seem fresh and new. You would easily think that his writings were written recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back