The Puritan View of the Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
James T. Dennison has written an outstanding book on the Puritan view of the Sabbath Day. It has been out of print for a while, but is now coming back into print. I read it in preparation for an article I'm writing for the CPJ on the Sabbath Day. The book is divided into 4 chronological periods (1532-1603, 1603-1633, 1633-1650, 1650-1700). The Puritans found themselves in between the Saturday Sabbatarians (the radically conservative), and the Prelatical party (radically liberal). With the Sabbatarians, the Puritans agreed that the Sabbath as a principle was a creation ordinance. That is the only point on which the Puritans and the Sabbatarians agreed. With the Prelatical party, the Puritans agreed on nothing. However, the Sabbatarians and the Prelatic party both agreed on a number of issues against the Puritans: 1. The Sabbatarians and the Prelatic party both agreed that the Saturday Sabbath was commanded by the Decalogue (against the Puritans). 2. They agreed that the Lord's Day was not the New Testament Sabbath (against the Puritans). 3. They agreed against the Puritans that the Lord's Day was not by divine right (jure divino) 4. They agreed against the Puritans that corporal labor and suspension of recreation was not required on the Lord's Day. In fact, the only real point of disagreement between the Sabbatarians and the Prelatical party was whether the Sabbath was a creation ordinance, the Prelatic party saying no and the Sabbatarians saying yes. For all this information, see the very handy chart on page 177.

Thanks Lane. I will be looking for Dennison's book. The little book THE LORD'S DAY by Daniel Wilson traces the observance of the Lord's Day back through Genesis.

It is actually available currently from cvbbs or from reformation heritage books. I think it was place back into print sometime last year. WTS is just late getting it into stock.

I think I bought a copy a few years ago. I'm not sure where (Greenville TS bookstore perhaps?). I thought it was published by Banner of Truth. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back