The Puritans as racists (Anthony B. Bradley)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel, while I certainly agree with you, would you be able to point to some solid resources combating this claim?

There is no real need to refute something that has not been proven in the first place. The historical method is also truly laughable. He conflates the English and American Puritans and assumes that because Cotton Mather and Jonathan Edwards approved of something, ergo, the Puritans in England did so as well. But this conclusion is a non-sequitur. There were British slave ships before Great Britain was even a nation-state? The Puritans never had a non-racist anthropology at any point in "US history"? The last time that I checked the United States did not exist when the Puritans were around.

Last edited:
Well, by 2020 American standards, I’m racist because I’m white and don’t support BLM. So I’m not even allowed to comment on such things.

BTW, who is Anthony Bradley?

Slavery is sometimes, if not most times, used in our present day to refer to man-stealing. Even if the Puritans did provide "the theological justification for slavery", I don't think it'd be the same as defending that particularly wicked practice.

...who is Anthony Bradley?

Apparently a man so full of hatred and vitriol at his forefathers of a different color, that it’s becoming hard to believe he is a brother. This kind of rhetoric is becoming for him habitual and cherished sin.

Slavery is sometimes, if not most times, used in our present day to refer to man-stealing. Even if the Puritans did provide "the theological justification for slavery", I don't think it'd be the same as defending that particularly wicked practice.

Some sources on the issue (I should look for more material when I get the chance):

James Ussher on man-stealing

John Owen and the enslavement of the Scottish Covenanters

Thomas Doolittle on Islamic slavery

Richard Baxter also condemns slave-traders as demons, not Christians (or something like that) in his Christian Directory.

He links this book a lot as evidence for his claims. The description on Amazon reads as follows:
Against the background of John Calvin's capitalist economy, monocratic politics, and individual faith and ethics doctrine of predestination for European middle and upper classes, this book compares and contrasts the promise and performance of double election Puritan saints in matters of human bondage, class values, color-consciousness, and caste virtue. Washington focuses on an analysis of Evangelical Calvinist major figures, such as public servant and partisan party power advocate Cotton Mather and the civil affairs-neutral Jonathan Edwards. He also examines respective proslavery and antislavery Calvinist and Quaker Puritan parsons and denominations, as well as the antiabolitionist fathers of antiabortionist Southern Baptist sons.
So you have your classic "Calvinism caused Capitalism", "predestination caused slavery" along with equating being "antiabolition" with "antiabortion". Seems rather problematic. And of course the book is unavaliable and has no reviews.

Blind obedience the church of God has long ago exploded as too servile for Christians spirits. This would be more servile than selling men's bodies in the market as slaves, which Christianity abhors."
--Jeremiah Burroughs, The Excellency of a Gracious Spirit, p. 84. (SDG 1995)

I don’t know how he’s expecting the response. On Twitter? It doesn’t seem that Bradley is callIng for papers. Taking the questions seriously is difficult in this circumstance. I would be curious as to what religion in 1650 did much criticism of slavery?

Okay; I understand. This is the sort that insist Dabney is in hell for his sins despite his faith in Christ. I'm glad the Lord is judge.
Chris, I'm surprised you haven't heard of him.

M.Div from Covenant Theological Seminary

Ph.D from Westminster Theological Seminary.

Prominent Woke voice, etc.

https://www.dranthonybradley.com/about/
Also, I'm pretty sure he was ordained PCA. He's at Redeemer as "theologian in residence."

Ph.D from Westminster Theological Seminary.
How astonishing. WTS was founded by White Men. Further Daryl Hart in his insightful work on Machen (one of the founders of WTS) argues that Machen was a Segregationist who opposed the admission of black students to Princeton. I guess he held the same views when WTS was founded. So Dr Bradley does his PhD at a seminary that is NOT woke? :)

Westminster Confession 26 is actually at odds with Jim Crow segregation in the church, but that point is probably inconvenient for those who do not wish to attend churches with too many white people in membership and who want racially segregated minority churches.

Galatians 5:15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

I wrestled through this not long ago and the reality is that you can't find a person that isn't stained with sin. Do you think the presupposition from the posters on twitter is that Edwards mistreated slaves, or was his statement in regards to actually owning slaves? If its the latter you can't forget Paul returning the runaway slave Oneisumus to Philemon. We don't actually know what happened to Oneisumus but by the way Paul worded his letter he was requesting his release. The bible never reveals his fate.

In regards the former, I am not aware of evidence that Edwards actually mistreated the slaves. Either way the era was a difficult era to live. For example, would it be moral to use my hard earned money to buy a slave with the goal to free them, or do I voice my concerns to the government allowing a man/woman to be separated and sent to a ruthless owner? If you fast forward 150 years into the future you may hear Christians judging us for things they believe are sinful. They bought clothing that was made in sweat shops that were made by enslaved children, or by Adults under extreme poverty. ect..

I found the following podcasts that explains the great lengths the RPCNA church went through to support black men and women during that era. Here is the link to the lecture series. https://www.theaquilareport.com/can...-copeland-on-the-rpcnas-anti-slavery-history/

...the reality is that you can't find a person that isn't stained with sin.

The problem is that those, like Bradley, who have apostatized to the Woke religion view such a statement as an equivalent to saying, "All lives matter." There is no reasoning with a Wokist.

I still wager to fine any more than a handful, if that, of men of any color anywhere in the world in 1650 who would hold views stated the way Wokists wish they were.

Maybe some Quakers did? I dunno.

The problem is that those, like Bradley, who have apostatized to the Woke religion view such a statement as an equivalent to saying, "All lives matter." There is no reasoning with a Wokist.

I agree that you can't reason with the woke folks. Not everybody walking around with BLM posters is woke. They can be reasoned with.

Sure, except those who have a platform, like Twitter.
Bret Weinstein has talked about that. Often with Woke, if you can get a person to talk to you one on one often you can seem to get somewhere. Sadly the go back to social media or back to borg Woke collective and the SJW programming is reloaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back