The Puritans vs. William Shakespeare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritan Sailor

Puritan Board Doctor
Looking for quotes and specific references of Puritans commenting on Shakespeare. They were contemporaries after all. Any one know of any references? Or even references of Shakespeare commenting on Puritans? :book2:

Looking for quotes and specific references of Puritans commenting on Shakespeare. They were contemporaries after all. Any one know of any references? Or even references of Shakespeare commenting on Puritans? :book2:

Well, Shakespeare died in 1616, around the time when many, if not most, of the main Puritan biggies were being born (John Owen was born the year Shakespeare died, for example). So, there might not be too many references to the Puritans in his works. As for Puritan references to Bill, not sure about that.

I'm sure I was a lot of help here...

Shakespeare observed a noteworthy theological point in his comedy "As You Like It" when he penned the monologue "All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances, and each man in his time plays many parts."

This monologue can be found in Act II spoken by the melancholy Jacques at the dinner feast with Orlando and the Banished Duke and his men in the Forest of Arden.

It is thoughtful to the degree that God truly is a divine playwright who has effortlessly cast His characters and events of history upon the page.

Well, Shakespeare died in 1616, around the time when many, if not most, of the main Puritan biggies were being born (John Owen was born the year Shakespeare died, for example). So, there might not be too many references to the Puritans in his works. As for Puritan references to Bill, not sure about that.

I'm sure I was a lot of help here...

Well, he would have lived with some earlier Puritans like Perkins. I'm guessing his plays continued to be known in the following generations, if not for their influence in theater, then at least as influential literature. I've just never come across a reference to it in the Puritans I've read which seems odd.

A recent PBS documentary, In Search of Shakespeare was quite illuminating about WS' religious views in the context of English history

How about the Puritans closing down the theatres? Thanks for complicating Shakespeare criticism, jerks! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back