The Race Set Before Us: orthodox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
I want to elicit your thoughts on the Schreiner/Caneday book on perseverance. I have read from Caneday himself that his views are similar to Norm Shepherd and that's already a red flag.

I've been wanting the book for some time now. My understanding is that their basic premise is that the warning passages are means of grace by which Christians persevere; at least that's one aspect of the book. I haven't heard anything unorthodox about it.

Shepherd has done so much damage among the Reformed churches with his heretical teaching on Justification, that I would never recommend or use his works, or works that view him positively. Some poisons are too potent.

It is widely known Shepherd taught that a person may "pass from an elect and justified status to a non-elect and non-justified status." (Minority Report to the Board of Trustees of Westminster Theological Seminary, May 13, 1980.)

R. Scott Clark discusses this: https://heidelblog.net/2015/04/not-as-if-but-actually/

Von, sure it is, but that alone does not validate what may be bad. When fishing, one makes sure the worm on the hook looks authentic.

Matt 24:13, "But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved" – and its corollary warns, he who does not shall be lost.

Or Heb 3:12-15, "Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation."

The elect take these things to heart, as the godly and healthy fear of the Lord braces us in our flawedness and remaining corruption. We warn our kids not to play in traffic, lest they be run over – from our love for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back