The real difference switching from KJV to ESV makes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having picked up a KJV after growing up exclusively around modern translations, this one thing that certainly confused me!

Having picked up a KJV after growing up exclusively around modern translations, this one thing that certainly confused me!

To make things even more puzzling,my Geneva Bible translates those words that are "Charity" in the KJV as "Love" so it's not an issue of the older translation using the word "Charity" but the younger KJV,does anyone have an answer for why King James had his translators chose "Charity" over "Love"

Sadly it is not my joke I merely draw attention to it. One word that has not made it into the C21st is bastard. It occurs three times in the KJV and has the appropriate tone of reproach. I cannot see the same meaning in illegitimate - it sounds like a goal disallowed by the referee.

[BIBLE]Hebrews 12:8
[/BIBLE]

Sadly it is not my joke I merely draw attention to it. One word that has not made it into the C21st is bastard. It occurs three times in the KJV and has the appropriate tone of reproach. I cannot see the same meaning in illegitimate - it sounds like a goal disallowed by the referee.

[/BIBLE]

It's less offensive the way it reads now. Which was the point.

[/BIBLE]

So, you were on the translation team?

[/BIBLE]

Obviously not, but if you read in the current literature of modern translation teams, instead of making fatuous assertions, you would be aware of the vein of thought of trying to make the Bible less offensive to target markets.

[/BIBLE]

Obviously not, but if you read in the current literature of modern translation teams, instead of making fatuous assertions, you would be aware of the vein of thought of trying to make the Bible less offensive to target markets.

Alright now, let's not forget to be charitable :p

[/BIBLE]

Alright now, let's not forget to be charitable :p

Or lovable...

I'm growing more fond of the TR as I just preached on John 5, and the ESV and NIV remove v.4. Never thought I'd see a Bible go 1, 2, 3, 5....Dumb.

Happy that I use the NASB and they only put it in brackets...

I'm growing more fond of the TR as I just preached on John 5, and the ESV and NIV remove v.4. Never thought I'd see a Bible go 1, 2, 3, 5....Dumb.

Happy that I use the NASB and they only put it in brackets...

To be fair, it is footnoted in the ESV.

Greetings:

The word Charity comes from the Latin root "caritas." As we all know there are different types of "love." Caritas, in Latin, denotes the highest form of love - a love that is self-sacrificial. This is why the word is now used of charitable organizations. When we give of our time and money to such endeavors, we are sacrificing a part of ourselves for others. This makes it a better translation of the Greek word agape.

Though people who lived back in the 1600's did not need to see the advantages of translating the word into "charity." I think that it is a definite advantage as we witness, because in explaining the idea of self-sacrificial love in 1 Cor 13 we can immediately use the example of our Lord Jesus Christ who sacrificed Himself for our sins.

Hope this helps.

Blessings in Jesus,

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back