The Reformed Confessions of the 16th and 17th Centuries in English Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
As a follow-up to this thread,

http://www.puritanboard.com/f29/dennison-s-reformed-confessions-16821/

below is an announcement (from the March 2008 issue of the Northwest Theological Seminary newsletter) concerning James T. Dennison, Jr.'s forthcoming The Reformed Confessions of the 16th and 17th Centuries in English Translation: 1523-1552.

REFORMED CONFESSIONS PROJECT, VOLUME 1, AT THE PUBLISHER

For the past 5 years, Jim Dennison has been collecting Reformed confessions from the 16th and 17th centuries. These documents originate in many nations (Switzerland, Germany, Holland, England, Scotland, France, Hungary, Transylvania, Poland, Brazil, America) and are written in many languages (German, Latin, French, English, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Magyar, Portuguese). More than 125 confessional documents have been gathered and will be printed, in English, in a multi-volume set. Volume 1, entitled The Reformed Confessions of the 16th and 17th Centuries in English Translation: 1523-1552 will include 34 confessions beginning with Ulrich Zwingli's 67 Articles and concluding with John Calvin's Consensus Genevenis or "On the Eternal Predestination of God". In between will be the first English translation of the Bern Synod (1532), Juan Diaz's Summary of the Christian Religion (1546) and the Rhaetian Confession (1552). Also included in this initial volume will be the Confession of the East Friesland Preachers (1528), the 1st Confession of Basel (1534), the 1st Helvetic Confession (1536), all of Calvin's Catechisms (1537, 1538, 1541/45), the Confession of the London Congregation of John a Lasco (1551), the Confession of the Refugee Congregation Vallerand Poullain at Glastonbury England (1551), the Emden Catechism (1551) and many others. The Reformed Confessions project is being published by Reformation Heritage Publications of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

We at Puritan Seminary look forward to this project being completed. We have heard about it for some time. What a great resource!

From the September 2008 NWTS newsletter:

For the first time since the Protestant Reformation, more than 120 Reformed Confessions of Faith will be made available in English translation. On October 31, 2008, Reformation Heritage Books of Grand Rapids, Michigan will release the first volume of Reformed Confessions of the 16th and 17th Centuries in English Translation, containing 33 confessions published between 1523 and 1552. At 7:30 pm on that evening, in the Lynnwood [WA] Orthodox Presbyterian Church, the compiler and editor of this series, our Academic Dean, James T. Dennison, Jr., will debut the 800-page initial volume. You are warmly invited to join the Faculty and student body for this historic occasion.

You will be able to take home your own personal copy of the book by making a $50 donation to the work of NWTS. Here are confessions written by Ulrich Zwingli, William Farel, John Calvin, Martin Bucer, Wolfgang Capito, John Oecolampadius, John a Lasco, the Waldensians and many more. Here is not only theological matter for the soul, here is food for the heart gathered from the confessions of believers in Reformed churches in Germany, Switzerland, East Friesland, France, Belgium, Holland and England.

This is a landmark, multi-volume set: so mark your calendar now for this joyous celebration of our Reformation heritage from primary documents in English translation. If you are unable to attend, you may purchase the volume from the publisher: Reformation Heritage Books phone 619-977-0599.

From the September 2008 NWTS newsletter:

For the first time since the Protestant Reformation, more than 120 Reformed Confessions of Faith will be made available in English translation. On October 31, 2008, Reformation Heritage Books of Grand Rapids, Michigan will release the first volume of Reformed Confessions of the 16th and 17th Centuries in English Translation, containing 33 confessions published between 1523 and 1552. At 7:30 pm on that evening, in the Lynnwood [WA] Orthodox Presbyterian Church, the compiler and editor of this series, our Academic Dean, James T. Dennison, Jr., will debut the 800-page initial volume. You are warmly invited to join the Faculty and student body for this historic occasion.

You will be able to take home your own personal copy of the book by making a $50 donation to the work of NWTS. Here are confessions written by Ulrich Zwingli, William Farel, John Calvin, Martin Bucer, Wolfgang Capito, John Oecolampadius, John a Lasco, the Waldensians and many more. Here is not only theological matter for the soul, here is food for the heart gathered from the confessions of believers in Reformed churches in Germany, Switzerland, East Friesland, France, Belgium, Holland and England.

This is a landmark, multi-volume set: so mark your calendar now for this joyous celebration of our Reformation heritage from primary documents in English translation. If you are unable to attend, you may purchase the volume from the publisher: Reformation Heritage Books phone 619-977-0599.

I have no doubt that this would be a fascinating evening for anyone who is able to go! If you live nearby I would highly encourage you to attend.

I have no doubt that this would be a fascinating evening for anyone who is able to go! If you live nearby I would highly encourage you to attend.

I would love to be there -- and it is within easy driving distance. However, we have a Reformation Day event scheduled for that evening. Nonetheless, I am very much looking forward to getting this book.

These three volumes will be amazing. I plan to get all three, which will be a big step up from my current Creeds of Christendom by Schaff that I've been working off! Any (rough) ideas when the second and third volumes will come out?

Not included in this volume but already published in Kerux: The Journal of Northwest Theological Seminary 20/2 (September 2005) 3-9 and planned to be included in a future volume of the present series is the 1613 Bentheim Confession translated in part by our very own Adam King, and it's available online here:

Kerux V20 N2 A1

I picked my copy up at their bookstore in Grand Rapids yesterday. It is a great.
I am particularly impressed by the 1551 London Confession of John A Lasco

So it seems to be available to ship today from monergismbooks.com, but I haven't heard anything from RHB directly on my pre-order of the book from them. Anyone know more?

So it seems to be available to ship today from monergismbooks.com, but I haven't heard anything from RHB directly on my pre-order of the book from them. Anyone know more?

RHB now says: "In stock and shipping now!"

Anybody with additional info on the Ames work?

RHB says that it is not even at the printer yet, it should be available in about another month or so (they plan to update the website accordingly).

Mine made the Departure Scan in HORSHAM, PA, today at 12:04 A.M. They say it will arrive on Monday!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back