The Reformed Episcopal Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernHero

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings, all. What do you guys know about this denomination? There is one in my area that I was going to visit, just out of curiosity mostly.

They have a website here: The Reformed Episcopal Church

I'm in the process of finding out which confessions and creeds they subscribe to, and what their major view of the ends times is... I'm guessing Amil?

Thoughts? Let's pretend I was thinking of leaving the PCA... Should I visit this church?

Grace and peace.

It used to be Low Church denomination, and generally a Reformed denomination. In recent years it has become another continueing Anglican Church. Lots of Reformed men still in her ranks. Varies greatly congregation to congregation.

How Calvinistic is their theology? Is this a real reformed denomination, or is it "reformed" like the RCA or WFRC?

How Calvinistic is their theology?

On paper they are reformed but in reality it will depend upon the congregation.

Anglican Belief and Practice: A Joint Affirmation of the Reformed Episcopal Church and the Anglican Province of America October 4, 2001

I would be unhappy with the following:

"It is through baptism by water in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost that an individual dies to sin and rises to new life in Christ. Through this rebirth, or regeneration, baptism washes away original sin and opens the door to God's grace. At baptism, a person is grafted into the Church, the Body of Christ, and becomes a branch of the Vine. Furthermore, in Baptism a visible confirmation is given of God's forgiveness of the individual's sins, and one's adoption as a Son of God and an heir of salvation."

"It is also affirmed that the sacrament of Baptism effects a new birth into the life of Christ and his Body the Church, and is thus rightly called "regeneration." According to our Lord's command and institution, Baptism is the necessary sacrament of Christian discipleship, and thus ordinarily necessary for salvation. The grace conferred in Baptism, when received rightly, includes the remission of both original sin and all personal sins (when applicable) through one's union with Christ in the Paschal mystery, the adoptive sonship of the Father and membership in Christ and his Body. Through Baptism, a person is incorporated into the Church and becomes the temple of the Holy Spirit. Baptism configures a person to Christ and makes him a sharer in his priesthood, consecrating the baptized person for Christian service and worship. Hence, the character of Baptism is rightly said to be indelible and the Sacrament not repeatable."

Greetings, all. What do you guys know about this denomination? There is one in my area that I was going to visit, just out of curiosity mostly.

They have a website here: The Reformed Episcopal Church

I'm in the process of finding out which confessions and creeds they subscribe to, and what their major view of the ends times is... I'm guessing Amil?

Thoughts? Let's pretend I was thinking of leaving the PCA... Should I visit this church?

Grace and peace.
I was a Member for a while, some are pretty solid, some are going a little High-Church and a few are even a little Anglo_Catholic, as a former member....BE CAREFUL. You are better off in the PCA.:2cents:

no way apa

http://www.no-way-apa.net

provides you information about the direction the REC is heading.

Their denominational seminary is where Brian Schwertley (of the WPC) went to seminary. I am sure he would know something of it. His site is reformedonline.com or .org

Their denominational seminary is where Brian Schwertley (of the WPC) went to seminary. I am sure he would know something of it. His site is reformedonline.com or .org

What an irony, Brian Schwertley went to an Episcopal Seminary. :D

Is it possibly part of what made Brian Schwertley Brian Schwertley? :)

The REC also allows paedocommunion (at least at the level of congregations, if not mandated by the denomination).

I don't know much about the denomination overall, but there is a good REC congregation here in Amarillo, and I'm good friends with the pastor. I've filled the pulpit there several times, and he has filled our pulpit once, and it was a solid Christ-centered message (Actually it was on sexual sin, which is somewhat ironic given another current thread).

However, there are significant differences. If you are a Presbyterian, I wouldn't counsel you to make the change from PCA to REC. However, I would counsel someone in the PCUSA to switch to the REC (if that makes any sense).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back