The Regulative Principle Applied to Church Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not familiar with the author, but I find his reasoning powerful.

Now the total silence of the Word of God in regard to such contrivances as Boards seals their condemnation. Nay, they are virtually prohibited by those plain directions of the Scriptures in regard to church-government which lead directly to a different system. But, however this may be, it certainly rests on those who maintain and uphold them to produce the warrant by which they have been formed.

This may not be related to where you would like to head with this thread, but I couldn't help but think of history I read recently of how the PCUS developed governance by Boards with more-and-more authority in the early 1900's. Women were put on these boards because, it was reasoned, they "were not ecclesiastical" and "there was no warrant in Scripture" for not installing them on these "boards."

As the power of the church "boards" grew, women's (trustee) ruling power through them grew until it was hard to differentiate what they did from what Deacons and Elders did. In effect, the Boards came to run and represent the church. So, women who were already sharing rule de facto in the boards were given first the office of Deacon, then Elder, and finally a vote and "voice" at General Assembly.

Somehow, the "warrant of Scripture" got turned on its head to mean the exact opposite- whatsoever is not expressly prohibited is warranted.

It seems the wise words of this Gentleman (whenever he wrote them) speak to a lot of important things.

Thanks.

James Henly Thornwell

James Henley Thornwell (December 9, 1812 – August 1, 1862) was an American Presbyterian preacher and religious writer.

Born in Marlboro District, South Carolina on December 9, 1812; Thornwell graduated from South Carolina College at nineteen, studied briefly at Harvard, then entered the Presbyterian ministry. He became prominent in the Old School Presbyterian denomination in the south, preaching and writing on theological and social issues. He taught at South Carolina College, eventually served as its president, and went on to teach at Columbia Theological Seminary. He was a contemporary of Charles Hodge and represented the southern branch of the Presbyterian church in debates on ecclesiology with Hodge.

Thornwell founded the Southern Presbyterian Review, edited the Southern Quarterly Review, and had a prominent role in establishing the Presbyterian Church in the Confederate States of America. Thornwell preached the first sermon and wrote the first address for the new denomination. He died on August 1, 1862 after a long struggle with tuberculosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back