The responsibility of listening to a sermon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabee

Obi Wan Kenobi
Does anyone have any resources for teaching people their responsibility in listening to a sermon? I've read some on line and I thought I had a book on it, but can't find it. I already have stuff on the duties of a church member, but need it specifically on listening to and being prepared for the sermon. I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

This is something that soooo speaks to me. I LOVE listening to the preaching of the word..the only bad thing is when I cannot write FAST enough to get the goodies.....

I think its a 'hearts desire thing', but don't take that to heart...

I can recommend a few resources, starting with the Westminster Larger Catechism:

Q160: What is required of those that hear the word preached?
A160: It is required of those that hear the word preached, that they attend upon it with diligence,[1] preparation,[2] and prayer;[3] examine: What they hear by the scriptures;[4] receive the truth with faith,[5] love,[6] meekness,[7] and readiness of mind,[8] as the word of God;[9] meditate,[10] and confer of it;[11] hide it in their hearts,[12] and bring forth the fruit of it in their lives.[13]

1. Prov. 8:34
2. I Peter 2:1-2; Luke 8:18
3. Psa. 119:18; Eph. 6:18-19
4. Acts 17:11
5. Heb. 4:2
6. II Thess 2:10
7. James 1:21
8. Acts 17:11
9. I Thess 2:13
10. Luke 9:44; Heb. 2:1
11. Luke 24:14; Deut 6:6-7
12. Prov. 2:1; Psa. 119:11
13. Luke 8:15; James 1:25

From William Gouge's Commentary on Hebrews:

The Right Hearing of Preaching

by this subject matter of preaching the word of God, we may receive a good direction to observe two caveats enjoined by Christ concerning hearing:

The first is concerning the matter which we hear, "Take heed what you hear," Mark 4:24. We must hear nothing with approval except what we know to be the word of God. We must, therefore, be well acquainted with the Scriptures ourselves, and by them test the things which we hear, whether they are the word of God or not, as the men of Berea did, Acts 17:11.

The second caveat is concerning the manner of hearing, "Take heed how you hear," Luke 18:18. That which we know to be grounded upon the Scriptures we must receive, "not as the word of men, but, as it is in truth, the word of God," 1 Thess. 2:13. We must with reverence attend to it; we must in our hearts believe, and we must in our lives obey it.

Also see William Ames on The Hearing of God's Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back