The RPW - Communion Westminster Confession Chapter 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
Good Day,

So often, on topics of worship, we discuss the details of the contents and flow of our liturgies. It is right to do and spiritually beneficial for saints to dwell on these topics and have respectful discussions. This serves to encourage us to further our studies and meditations on scripture. After all, at the core to these types of discussions is the question of "How do we worship God rightly?" and "How do we please our heavenly Father?". What lovely questions to dwell upon and how staggering it is that we lowly worms can even ask it!

However, my thread today is to encourage something I believe to be more foundational to the Regulative Principle of Worship, which is the subject of The Communion of the Saints, no not "communion" as some use it to describe the Lord's Super, but Communion as expressed in scripture and summarized by Westminster Chapter 26, specifically Sections 1 & 2:

Section I.–All saints that are united to Jesus Christ their head, by his Spirit and by faith, have fellowship with him in his graces, sufferings, death, resurrection, and glory: and, being united to one another in love, they have communion in each other's gifts and graces, and are obliged to the performance of such duties, public and private, as to conduce to their mutual good, both in the inward and outward man.

Section II.–Saints by profession are bound to maintain an holy fellowship and communion in the worship of God, and in performing such other spiritual services as tend to their mutual edification; as also in relieving each other in outward things, according to their several abilities and necessities. Which communion, as God offereth opportunity, is to be extended unto all those who, in every place, call upon the name of the Lord Jesus.

Admittedly, we are very quick tongued creatures when it comes to creating and feeding Schisms, which is not the same as Necessary Separation. Often, I am so quick to discuss the finer details of the contents of worship, that I am guilty of missing the foundational and more primary duties of Christian Communion. This hit me like a light socket this week and I hope this post spurs some fruitful discussion. Further, on topics of the RPW, I feel the foundational doctrine of our Communion to Christ and one another is passed by all to quickly. But, that could just be me! Please don't read me with the intent of making a straw man. The finer points of the RPW ARE IMPORTANT. Rather, read me as asking: When is the last time you meditated upon Christian Communion?

Even the most TR service on a flat geocentric planet would be rendered faulty with Schisms if Communion was not being sought after and practiced. Paul seemed to routinely promote unity for the sake of worship and spiritual growth in the Church of Corinth: 1 Cor. 1:10-11 / 1 Cor. 3:1-4 / 1 Cor. 11:17-22 / 1 Cor. 12:12-26

We also learn in Jon. 13:34-35:
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Admittedly, it is not always easy to see the line between Schism and Necessary Separation.

Self-reflection to get us thinking:

- How have you been guilty of Schism and did it impact your Public Worship?

-How have you/can you seek reconciliation with your fellow saints?

Good Day,

So often, on topics of worship, we discuss the details of the contents and flow of our liturgies. It is right to do and spiritually beneficial for saints to dwell on these topics and have respectful discussions. This serves to encourage us to further our studies and meditations on scripture. After all, at the core to these types of discussions is the question of "How do we worship God rightly?" and "How do we please our heavenly Father?". What lovely questions to dwell upon and how staggering it is that we lowly worms can even ask it!

However, my thread today is to encourage something I believe to be more foundational to the Regulative Principle of Worship, which is the subject of The Communion of the Saints, no not "communion" as some use it to describe the Lord's Super, but Communion as expressed in scripture and summarized by Westminster Chapter 26, specifically Sections 1 & 2:

Admittedly, we are very quick tongued creatures when it comes to creating and feeding Schisms, which is not the same as Necessary Separation. Often, I am so quick to discuss the finer details of the contents of worship, that I am guilty of missing the foundational and more primary duties of Christian Communion. This hit me like a light socket this week and I hope this post spurs some fruitful discussion. Further, on topics of the RPW, I feel the foundational doctrine of our Communion to Christ and one another is passed by all to quickly. But, that could just be me! Please don't read me with the intent of making a straw man. The finer points of the RPW ARE IMPORTANT. Rather, read me as asking: When is the last time you meditated upon Christian Communion?

Even the most TR service on a flat geocentric planet would be rendered faulty with Schisms if Communion was not being sought after and practiced. Paul seemed to routinely promote unity for the sake of worship and spiritual growth in the Church of Corinth: 1 Cor. 1:10-11 / 1 Cor. 3:1-4 / 1 Cor. 11:17-22 / 1 Cor. 12:12-26

We also learn in Jon. 13:34-35:

Admittedly, it is not always easy to see the line between Schism and Necessary Separation.

Self-reflection to get us thinking:

Good day brother,

I have seen the effects first hand of public schism in the body and it is not pretty. It happened DURING public worship. You could cut the tension with a knife. It caused great distress on the body and may have caused a great deal of harm between those of whom he was speaking of. I don't know the full story, but I can say it was very difficult to witness.

I have called the individual to check on them with no reply just yet. Maybe he is busy, I dunno. The gentleman may have had good points "on paper", however in practice it didn't turn out so well...

In witnessing this I've learned that sometimes we can be overzealous for truth and do harm to those we love and care for. We are all susceptible to this. Truth is necessary. But without love we are but a clanging gong and symbol. Lord, help us be more patient and kind to our neighbors.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

These are good thoughts and points. I think the times the visible church is in make it challenging on all fronts. We see idolatry in the church, and reformation is a crying need, and it can be easy to lose sight of the love we’re called to practice no matter what, and what that may look like in various situations. As with all difficult applications of spiritual truths, we (I) need to keep in mind our individual callings and stations, and what love calls for in specific situations, within them. To avoid being high-minded- “neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.”

My comments are offered in light of my oft failings in this area and the help I get from Mr. Hugh Binning in his sermons, “Christian Love.”

Thank you for the topic to reflect on. I grew up with little concept of necessary separation and skisms were most likely to be driven by music preference.

I find myself longing for a little more zeal for truth but I can see how it would quickly creap into the unhealthy.

Thank you for pushing us to reflect on these things. I fear we Reformed folk are often guilty of this.

I offer you George Smeaton's summary of Basil the Great's actions regarding second General Council for encouragement and reflection.

"In the strangely agitated period which preceded the calling of the Second General Council, the part which Basil acted was that of concession and of moderate demands. He was content if, in the eager efforts which were put forth to reclaim the Semi-Arians, they could be brought to declare that the Holy Spirit was not a creature, even though they did not take the positive ground of asserting his supreme deity. To some, Basil's actions have always, down from his own time to this date, seemed to argue the character of a trimmer; to others, it seems the part of a wise church leader. . . .

Some ecclesiastics to whom Basil's conduct was an enigma and a cause of anxiety made representations to Athanasius regarding it; and the letters in reply which have come down to us sufficiently attest that Athanasius entirely approved of the measures which Basil had taken. 'I wonder,' said Athanasius, 'at the audacity of those who presume to reproach our beloved Bishop Basil, the true servant of God.' 'They may be assured,' says he again, in writing to Palladius, 'that he is the glory of the church, a combatant for the truth, and a teacher of the needy; they must not fight against such a man.' 'He is, I am fully convinced, weak to the weak, that he may gain the weak.'"

- The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit pg 286-7

Last edited:
We went through part of 1 John chapter 4 this Lord’s Day. John speaks of discerning error and immediately proceeds to speak of love as an identifying mark of the believer. They must go together lest we be swept by pride.

Thank you for pushing us to reflect on these things. I fear we Reformed folk are often guilty of this.

I offer you George Smeaton's summary of Basil the Great's actions regarding second General Counsel for encouragement and reflection.

"In the strangely agitated period which preceded the calling of the Second General Council, the part which Basil acted was that of concession and of moderate demands. He was content if, in the eager efforts which were put forth to reclaim the Semi-Arians, they could be brought to declare that the Holy Spirit was not a creature, even though they did not take the positive ground of asserting his supreme deity. To some, Basil's actions have always, down from his own time to this date, seemed to argue the character of a trimmer; to others, it seems the part of a wise church leader. . . .

Some ecclesiastics to whom Basil's conduct was an enigma and a cause of anxiety made representations to Athanasius regarding it; and the letters in reply which have come down to us sufficiently attest that Athanasius entirely approved of the measures which Basil had taken. 'I wonder,' said Athanasius, 'at the audacity of those who presume to reproach our beloved Bishop Basil, the true servant of God.' 'They may be assured,' says he again, in writing to Palladius, 'that he is the glory of the church, a combatant for the truth, and a teacher of the needy; they must not fight against such a man.' 'He is, I am fully convinced, weak to the weak, that he may gain the weak.'"

- The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit pg 286-7

I’m not sure why but this brought tears to my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back