The Sabbath - What Crosses The Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

O'GodHowGreatThouArt

Puritan Board Sophomore
Good evening guys, and God bless you all on this Sabbath day.

While watching the Pro Bowl this evening, something came to mind that I'm a bit confused about. The Lord in Exodus 34:21 said that, "You shall work 6 days, but on the 7th day, you shall rest...". I would surmise that work would violate it, while dealing with basic essentials would not.

However, what would cross the line and violate this commandment? With myself being a college student, I do not believe Sundays should be days that I do any work unless I do not have a choice because of a lack of time. Is this in full application of Exodus 34:21? What about watching sport events? Also, what are some examples that you can think of that would be in violation?

Thank you, and God bless the rest of your evening.

While watching the Pro Bowl this evening, . . .

Sorry, but I had to laugh at your lead-in.

what would cross the line and violate this commandment?

Watching the Pro Bowl, for one. [I don't mean to be flippant with that answer; please forgive me if it sounds that way]

If you have a copy of the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms, read in the Larger Catechism questions 115-121 and their answers.
If you don't have a copy, it can easily be found online at any number of sites.

Bryan,

Have you listened to the message from Robert Murray M'Cheyne that was posted today by two other PB members? You can read it HERE or listen to it HERE.

I believe the answers to your questions will be much easier to receive if you, like M'Cheyne states, love the Lord's Day.

No I haven't Bill. To be honest with you, I didn't know he even existed. I just looked into the message and found it to be of vital assistance in my inquiry. I thank you for giving me the links. There is one question still lingering though.

When Pastor M'Cheyne mentioned that the Sabbath should be spent like a day in Heaven: doing nothing but praising the Lord and merciful favors towards others, does this include anything related to bible study (i.e. Reading theological books, studying the Bible, verse memorization, catechism memorization (including the making of flashcards to memorize on this one and the previous one), etc.)?

Without attempting to provide a list for another brother I just suggest this passage from Isaiah which gives us insight into the Lord's perspective:

Isaiah 58:13-14 " If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath, From doing your pleasure on My holy day, And call the Sabbath a delight, The holy day of the LORD honorable, And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways, Nor finding your own pleasure, Nor speaking your own words, Then you shall delight yourself in the LORD; And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth, And feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father. The mouth of the LORD has spoken."

No I haven't Bill. To be honest with you, I didn't know he even existed. I just looked into the message and found it to be of vital assistance in my inquiry. I thank you for giving me the links. There is one question still lingering though.

When Pastor M'Cheyne mentioned that the Sabbath should be spent like a day in Heaven: doing nothing but praising the Lord and merciful favors towards others, does this include anything related to bible study (i.e. Reading theological books, studying the Bible, verse memorization, catechism memorization (including the making of flashcards to memorize on this one and the previous one), etc.)?

Bryan, the things you mentioned would be wonderful activities to engage in on the Lord's Day. Worship is commanded on the Lord's Day. You mentioned that you're a college student. Does that mean you live in the dorms? Do you have a car? Are you able to worship at a local church? Can you arrange, beforehand, to visit with different church members on that day? Yes, it takes a bit of planning, but that planning will allow you enjoy the day more thoroughly. You read me right, I did use the word "enjoy." The Lord's Day is not a burden to be endured, but a joy to be shared. It is far easier to enjoy the day in the company of other like-minded believers, as opposed to going it solo.

Wish we had an underscore button:

The Lord's Day is not a burden to be endured, but a joy to be shared. It is far easier to enjoy the day in the company of other like-minded believers, as opposed to going it solo.

Wish we had an underscore button:

The Lord's Day is not a burden to be endured, but a joy to be shared. It is far easier to enjoy the day in the company of other like-minded believers, as opposed to going it solo.
Amen and amen. We determined today to exercise more thorough planning so as to make the Sabbath even more enjoyable.

Bryan, the things you mentioned would be wonderful activities to engage in on the Lord's Day. Worship is commanded on the Lord's Day. You mentioned that you're a college student. Does that mean you live in the dorms?

Not at this time. I currently attend a commuter college. I am looking into them when I transfer though.

Do you have a car?

Not yet. I hope to have one before the Fall semester begins in mid-August.

Are you able to worship at a local church?

Conflicts with my parents regarding the church I've been wanting to attend has made this very difficult. I will bring the subject back up at the beginning of this week. A member of this board has a standing offer for me if I need a ride, on the condition it does not cause any dismay with my parents. Which it shouldn't; they gave me verbal consent to attend several months ago if I can find my own ride, but they've switched sides on decisions so often I've been hesitant to verify this.

Can you arrange, beforehand, to visit with different church members on that day?

This is a possibility. However, as with all things (except Death and Judgment), nothing is guaranteed. The last quote will have to happen before this can.

Yes, it takes a bit of planning, but that planning will allow you enjoy the day more thoroughly. You read me right, I did use the word "enjoy." The Lord's Day is not a burden to be endured, but a joy to be shared. It is far easier to enjoy the day in the company of other like-minded believers, as opposed to going it solo.

All due respect brother, but you're preaching to the choir on this one. I've been observing the Sabbath without attending a Church and on my own for 1 1/2 of the two years I've been reformed, and it's about to drive me insane. There have been days where I felt like one of those characters in the cartoons that lost its mind and hits itself in the head with a hammer, over and over again, while sticking its tongue out and using its finger to flip it up and down rapidly like you do a guitar string.

Bryan, I commend you for seeking out wisdom concerning how to spend your Sabbath, but I think it's vital you get in a church. You have the offer for the ride so take it and be blessed.

One way to understand what God requires of us on the sabbath is to study the commandment in Exodus 20 and re-stated in Deuteronomy 5 (as part of the Ten Commandments).

It requires us, ordinarily, to:

1) work six days
2) "cease" (from work and play)
3) "make holy" (set apart from other days)

We might say there are three main aspects to keeping the sabbath,

1) prepare in advance (so ordinary tasks are out of the way and do not distract on the sabbath)
2) abstain from work
3) abstain from seeking to entertain, recreate, amuse ourselves

In order that we might prioritize worship of God all the day.

(It's okay to work and recreate the rest of the week, but to "sabbath" (cease), and break that pattern to "remember" and "set apart" on the Lord's Day)

I use the term, "ordinarily" because God establishes exceptions for mercy and necessity.

The summary of the doctrine of Scripture in the Westminster Standards (virtually identical in the London Baptist Confession) is excellent. The scripture proofs are many, and are useful to study and meditate on.

Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter XXI
Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He has particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:[34] which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week: and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,[35] which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,[36] and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.[37]

VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their wordly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]

Scripture Proof

[34] EXO 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. ISA 56:2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil. 4 For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant. 6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; 7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.
[35] GEN 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. 1CO 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. ACT 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
[36] REV 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet.
[37] EXO 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates. MAT 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
[38] EXO 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. EXO 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning. 25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the Lord: to day ye shall not find it in the field. 26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none. 29 See, for that the Lord hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. 30 So the people rested on the seventh day. 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. ISA 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words. NEH 13:15 In those days saw I in Judah some treading wine presses on the sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and lading asses; as also wine, grapes, and figs, and all manner of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the sabbath day: and I testified against them in the day wherein they sold victuals. 16 There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem. 17 Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the sabbath day? 18 Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath. 19 And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day. 21 Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? if ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the sabbath. 22 And I commanded the Levites that they should cleanse themselves, and that they should come and keep the gates, to sanctify the sabbath day. Remember me, O my God, concerning this also, and spare me according to the greatness of thy mercy.
[39] ISA 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back