The scariest passage of scripture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you." (John 10:26, AV)

Last edited:
Like Rich posted, I was considering Hebrews 10, especially in light of
Hebrews 6:4-6
4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.​

Another consideration, also found in Hebrews.
Hebrews 12:14-17
14Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: 15looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled; 16lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright. 17For you know that afterward, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought it diligently with tears.

Also the verses about the unpardonable sin (Heb 6, 10) - have struggled a "little" with those.

Also, Proverbs, lots of it - shames me.

And then reading about Saul:

1Sa 9:2 And he had a son, whose name was Saul, a choice young man, and a goodly: and there was not among the children of Israel a goodlier person than he: from his shoulders and upward he was higher than any of the people.

1Sa 16:14 But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.

1Sa 28:5 And when Saul saw the host of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart greatly trembled.
1Sa 28:6 And when Saul enquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.
1Sa 28:7 Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

It is a bit difficult for me to get into the "spirit" of the thread, since believing myself to be a child of God, I am sometimes dejected and concerned for my Father's discipline, but not "frightened" (re. the "scariest" verse).

Having said that, here is a verse that frequently "speaks" to me:
1Co 9:27 "... lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."
If the apostle should be concerned about winning the lost, and being lost himself afterward, how much more me?

On the subject of judgment, and the absolute sovereignty of God, consider these words, which we considered in connection with last Sunday's sermon on Gethsemane:
Zech. 13:7-9
Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the LORD of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones. And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein. And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.
There is great comfort in this chapter, note verse 1 speaking of the "fountain" for forgiveness, in context of which God will strike down his Shepherd. And great comfort for the one-third preserved, and refined--a new people of God formed of this remnant.

But that they may be so mercied, and made to say: "The Lord is my God," two-thirds will be cut-off to perdition.

The main reason Dispensationalism/modern evangelicalism is so dangerous is decisional Regeneration, I've heard many try to excuse Hebrews 10 as saying that those who go on sinning just have an expectation of hell but they will go to heaven because they made a decision for Jesus. Others look at the Lord Lord verse and write it off as people who do things in the name of different gods, and they completely ignore the warnings that unless we surpass that of a pharisee then we will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Oh and the one that scares me is unless you have faith like that of a child

I agree and tremble at some of the others mentioned here. Near the top of my list is: Job 38:1-42:6

I often forget the sheer magnitude of God's power. A simple revelation of who God is and what He has done can bring great fear and repentance.

My wife and I read through this passage a few days ago. In ch. 38, when God warns Job to gird up his loins like a man for the interrogation to come, I was overcome with the ridiculousness of the idea that any adequate preparation is possible. You can gird up your loins as far as you want - God will have His say, and we will be reduced to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back