The Scariest Scene in Opera

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was great. Bryn Terfel is the best.
The scene in Il Trovatore where Azucena sings about how she burned the child --and Manrico begins to suspect the truth always makes my hair stand on end.
And Christa Ludwig singing Re del abisso nero is the same sort of dramatism.

I'm just a philistine. Pathetic, really. Declasse.

I say, if you don't know what they're singing, ...?

Ich spreche nicht Italianische?

(which is Namibian for, "because I don't follow Russian that well!")

Don Giovanni refuses to repent and is dragged down into hell.

I agree, that is chilling.

But for some reason I get even more chilled by the Queen of the Night in the Magic flute when she hits those high notes while exorting her daughter to commit murder.

Yes, but the CDs almost always come with little booklets that have translations.

Sure,
But, how easy is it to go from looking through those toy binoculars to that tiny print, back and forth, back and forth, in low light (rustling the pages and annoying those posh snobs sitting next to you--wait, that sounds like fun) without incredible eyestrain! Just too unrealistic.

Well, if you're actually going to go the opera house, many opera houses provide subtitles on a screen either at the front, or a smaller one on the back of the seat in front of you (as for instance at the Met).

Anyway, if we are ever at the same opera house, don't sit next to me if you are going to talk or rustle pages --some people go for the music.

OK. I'll be too busy anyway crinkling my candy bar wrappers, dropping my popcorn on the floor, singing along with the fat lady...

I did watch the clip though. Who is that grey statue-guy? With no face. He was cool. Is he "Justice" or something?

A good opera house will frisk you for noise-making devices before you get in. Besides, the ushers have dart guns with tranquilizers to deal with incorrigible trouble makers.
That is the Commandatore: Don Giovanni killed him in a duel, and he is now administering justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back