The Secret Providence of God by John Calvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

cih1355

Puritan Board Junior
Recently, I started to read, The Secret Providence of God, by John Calvin. Calvin responds to a collection of writings by Sebastian Castellio. Castellio's writings are in the form of fourteen articles with a commentary on each article. Castellio claims that these articles came from the writings of Calvin. Calvin responds to these articles, which are about God's providence. Calvin says that these articles misrepresent his teaching. This is the latest edition translated by Keith Goad and edited by Paul Helm. The book has 122 pages. Has anyone read this book?

Yes. I read it a few months ago. I thought it was incredibly good, and provided a refutation of Arminianism before there actually was Arminianism.

I finished reading the book and I enjoyed it. Here are the key ideas from the book.

Calvin teaches that it is unlawful to judge the incomprehensible judgments of God with our small senses. God does as He pleases. He is free to show His mercy or to not show His mercy and we should try to find fault for what God does. People do not deserve God's mercy. God has no obligation to show His mercy towards people.

Calvin's response to the last article states that human reason cannot understand the mysteries of God so humility is the beginning of wisdom.

Men do not sin by accident; they sin on purpose. They act according to the evil intentions of their heart.

Even though God has sovereign control over all things including the sinful actions of men, God is not the author of sin. The intentions of God are different from the intentions of men when God controls the sinful actions of men. God commits no evil, but man acts according to the wickedness in their heart.

There are primary and secondary causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back