The serpent is in the bosom

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Hugh Binning, Works, p. 393:

Self-boasting, self-complacency, self-seeking, all those being of kin one to another, are insinuated into your best notions, and infect them with more atheism before God, than the strongest pious affection can instil of goodness into them. How often will men’s actions and expressions be outwardly clothed with a habit of condescendency and self-denial! And many may declaim with such zeal and vehemency against this evil, and yet, latet anguis [a snake hides], the serpent is in the bosom, and his venom may be diffused into the heart, and the poison of self-seeking and self-boasting may run through the veins of humble-like carriage and passionate discourses for self-denial. O that we could above all things establish that fundamental principle of Christianity in our hearts, even as we would be his disciples, truly and sincerely, and not in outward resemblance, – to deny ourselves, to renounce ourselves and our lusts, to make a whole resignation of our love, will, glory, and all to him, in whom to be lost it is only truly to find ourselves!

Wow! Hugh Binning really seems to have a lot of good quotes. I need to read him. Where should I start?

Wow! Hugh Binning really seems to have a lot of good quotes. I need to read him. Where should I start?

The recent ones are from the work on Heart-Humiliation. If these have been striking it might be good to start there. I should note that Binning was a free-flowing preacher and could weave in and out of his main thought, so it takes some concentration to stick with him. It is always rewarding, though. His weaving usually brings other thoughts together in very helpful and enlightening ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back