The sight of God’s glorious holiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Hugh Binning, Works, p. 366:

There are none can behold their own vileness as it is, but in the sight of God’s glorious holiness. Sin is darkness, and neither sees itself, nor any thing else; therefore must his light shine to discover this darkness. If we abide within ourselves, and men like ourselves, we cannot wisely judge ourselves; our dim sparkle will not make all the imperfections and spots appear. But, if men would come forth into the presence of his Majesty, who turns darkness into light, and before whom hell is naked, – O how base and vile would they appear in their own eyes! Is it any wonder that the multitude of you see not yourselves, when holy Isaiah and Job had this lesson to learn? Isaiah gets a discovery of his own uncleanness in the sight of God’s glorious holiness (chap. 6:5), which I think made all his former light darkness. He cries out “unclean,” as if he had never known it before; and so Job, “Since I saw thee I abhorred myself in dust and ashes.” Ye hear much of him, and it doth not abase you; but if ye saw him, ye would not abide yourselves; ye would prefer the dust you tread on to yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back