The significance of the distinct particular sprinklings: outside alter; inside altar, mercy seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
I confess I'm not sure I have a full understanding of the significance of these distinct sprinklings of blood, which we read of throughout Leviticus. Certainly they all refer to Christ and his once for all offering for sin. But what is the significance behind the various instructions for differing sprinklings? In particular: What truth is being demonstrated in the sprinkling of the blood on the altar of burnt offering (IE Leviticus 1), which was located in the courtyard--as distinguished from the sprinkling of blood before the veil on the altar of incense (IE Leviticus 4)--as distinguished from the sprinkling of the blood on mercy seat located in the holy of holies, which was only to be done by the high priest and that once a year on the day of atonement? It seems clear that the last of these (mercy seat) is to signify the blood of Christ in the "altar" of heaven itself, which he "brought with Him", as it were, into heaven itself (cf. Hebrews 9). But what about the significance of the first two, in distinction from the third? Intertwined with this question is also the question of the distinction between the blood atonement that was taking place every day for sinners (Leviticus 1-6) in distinction from the atonement that was only to happen once a year (Leviticus 16). Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back