The Single Life (Widower Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
1. If you can't nuke it, you probably didn't really want to eat it anyway.

2. No human being has ever successfully folded a fitted sheet.

We've not had fitted sheets or microwaves for most of the last 2 decades. Use a cast iron skillet.... bacon and meat is easy to make and takes 5 minutes. And who needs a fitted sheet anyway? Especially if you are single, do what you want.

We've not had fitted sheets or microwaves for most of the last 2 decades. Use a cast iron skillet.... bacon and meat is easy to make and takes 5 minutes. And who needs a fitted sheet anyway? Especially if you are single, do what you want.

Wait a minute! Bacon's not meat?

Bless your heart!

Confession time: I start out very neatly folding a fitted sheet; it ends up wadded into a ball that I stuff into its drawer that then has to be closed by force.

Exactly on the cast iron skillet. I usually have two or three going. I prepare almost everything on them:

Fish, eggs, toast, pancakes, potatoes, fried tomatoes, meat of all kinds, and yes, bacon, which deserves its own special pan.

Just scrape it when done and wipe down. Beats trying to deal with microwave dish cleaning.

But, I do fold fitted sheets fairly well. It drives my wife nuts.

Exactly on the cast iron skillet. I usually have two or three going. I make almost everything on them:

Fish, eggs, pancakes, potatoes, fried tomatoes, meat of all kinds, and yes, bacon, which deserves its own special pan.

Just scrape it when done and wipe down. Beats trying to deal with microwave dish cleaning.

But, I do fold fitted sheets fairly well. It drives my wife nuts.
You gotta wipe it down? This eliminates the smorgasborg of flavor.

I also recommend a nice, round-bottomed, carbon-steel wok for if you want to do Chinese.

A US range doesn't get hot enough, granted, but grills do! Get a cooking grid for your grill with a hole in it (or make your own, or, alternatively, just stuff the wok in the hot coals) and you're ready to make authentic Chinese food.

As a U.S. Sailor, I assure you, I can make a flat sheet hold more firmly to a matress than any fitted sheet would. As for microwaves, I think they have their purpose, but cast iron is more indispensable in cooking. And there is nothing better than a 16 oz. USDA-certified Angus Beef center-cut Ribeye cooked in butter in a cast iron skillet (four minutes on each side on medium-high). Nuking a steak like that would qualify as a crime against humanity.

Last edited:
As a U.S. Sailor, I assure you, I can make a flat sheet hold more firmly to a matress than any fitted sheet would. As for microwaves, I think they have their purpose, but cast iron is more indispensable in cooking. And there is nothing better than a 16 oz. USDA-certified Angus Beef center-cut Ribeye cooked in butter in a cast iron skillet (four minutes on each side on medium-high). Nuking a steak like that would qualify as a crime against humanity.

For some reason, I want to have a steak now.

Hot water and a nylon brush. Dry completely, then wipe down with vegetable oil.

By the way - bacon crisps up nicely in a microwave.
Baking bacon in oven works great also. Then pour the grease into cast iron to fry the bacon.

Last edited:
Well before I was in high school, my mom taught me how to fold a fitted sheet. It's not that hard if you have patience for such things. When I got married I made the mistake of showing my wife and trying to teach her. Now she brings me all the sheets (fitted or not) in a ball from the dryer and has me fold them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back