The Spirit's Work in Glorifying Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
by J. K. POPHAM​

He will glorify His fullness. The fullness of Christ means eternal life, everlasting righteousness, free forgiveness, perseverance to the end, grace to keep, grace to comfort, peace to console, strength to preserve you, pure life to keep you from the corruption of your nature, power to keep you from the devil, to keep the devil from you, power to bless you in your troubles, fullness to supply you in all your needs, and give you glory afterwards. The fullness of Christ means all that and infinitely more. May He pardon such a poor word about it. The fullness of Christ is celebrated in one of our hymns:

A fullness resides in Jesus our Head,
And ever abides to answer our need."

And there is a redundance in Him. We read of plenteous redemption. There is plenty of everything; and faith sees it, and it lifts Him up. The wife can never say she is poor while her husband has wealth, and the sinner can never properly say he is poor while Jesus is wealthy, has all this fullness, and this mercy, all this goodness; and the Spirit lifts all this up. "He shall glorify Me," and He shall say to a sinner, "Fear not. O fear not your emptiness, fear not your lacks, here is a fullness to supply you!" You may say, "But I have no religion." Christ has plenty to give. You may say, "I have no grace." Christ has plenty to give: "He giveth more grace." You may say, "I have no consistency, I am afraid my inconsistencies will provoke the Lord one of these days to come out against me." Christ has perfection to impute and to impart. Not to excuse wrong in us. He will give reproofs which will show us that. But He has plenty, plenty of everything. The Spirit glorifies Him in His fullness and this mighty strengthens faith, in those in whom it is created, to go to Him.

...let me press this on your notice, that there is no one in heaven or in earth can effectually convince us of sin but the Spirit, it being His work, His appointed work; and there is no one in heaven and in earth who can glorify Jesus Christ in the heart of a sinner, but that Spirit whose appointed work it is to do it. And therefore may we who are convinced of sin, who need a Saviour, be led to cry mightily to this Holy Ghost that He would condescend to lift up Christ that we may view Him. That the poison of sin, the arrows of the Almighty, the workings of indwelling corruption may be seen, all of them, to be under the hand of this Redeemer, this sufficient, this wondrous, the glorious Redeemer. May the Lord bless you, my friends, and grant that whatever you lack you may not lack this. Amen.

The Spirit's Work in Glorifying Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back