The State of the ARP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Praise God! Thanks gentlemen for this report, it is encouraging. I will continue to pray for this wonderful denomination. It's a blessing to be reminded that denominations don't always have to decline! What God has done in you and the SBC is a real encouragement to those of us struggling with decline in our own denominational contexts.

While I get that the devil assaults the church in a variety of ways, would those in the ARP say that there is a struggle between two poles: one being those causing controversy at Erskine and the other being the more confessional end which seeks closer association with the RPCNA? Is that a fair assessment, or are the issues more complicated?

While I get that the devil assaults the church in a variety of ways, would those in the ARP say that there is a struggle between two poles: one being those causing controversy at Erskine and the other being the more confessional end which seeks closer association with the RPCNA? Is that a fair assessment, or are the issues more complicated?

It is probably more complicated than that. Historically, there has been a group within the ARP that has wanted to follow closely after the Southern Presbyterians (now embodied in the PCA). That explains some of the unfortunate decisions the denomination took (with regard to worship, for instance in the mid-20th century. That tendency is probably shifting, as the ARP is now seeking a closer connection with the RPCNA and (possibly) the OPC. All that is good news.

The struggle over Erskine (particularly Erskine College) was not strictly an ARP one. What I mean is this: because the denomination is small, lots of students attend Erskine who are not connected to the denomination. A lot of alumni/donors who were struggling with the Synod for control of the college were not ARPs. This is not the say that there weren't ARPs in the midst of this; there were (and some being very public about it), but a great number seemed to be outside the denomination.

Having said all that, when an agreement was reached on the issues surrounding Erskine at last year's Synod, there was not a single nay vote. Instead, the Synod responded with a standing ovation at the solution that was reached (primarily with regard to procedures for removal of Board of Trustees members by the Synod). That was a huge thing. There are still problems, but things on that front are moving in the right direction.

Also, several of the pastors on that list are either retired or not in the ARP any longer.

(and I also demand a recount on the Wikipedia page, which needs updated in several places)

You can just click the edit link. You're probably more qualified to make changes than the last guy who touched it.

Rev. Glaser, are you from southern Ohio, West Virginia, or western Pennsylvania by any chance?

I was born and raised in West Virginia, went to college and married a girl from south/southwestern Ohio, and finished college/seminary in Pittsburgh, so yes. ;)

My father-in-law used to be an ARP minister so I've been encouraged to hear the direction the denomination seems to be thinking. Was also encouraged by the commissioning of the new psalter recently (to replace "Bible Songs" wasn't it?).

I was also introduced (somewhat) to the concept of reformed theology by a fellow competitive gamer who later became an ARP minister ;)

I was born and raised in West Virginia, went to college and married a girl from south/southwestern Ohio, and finished college/seminary in Pittsburgh, so yes. ;)

I ask because you do the same thing my wife does which is drop "to be" ("needs updated"). I understand it is a feature of certain Midland dialects as well as the Central Pennsylvania dialect.

I ask because you do the same thing my wife does which is drop "to be" ("needs updated"). I understand it is a feature of certain Midland dialects as well as the Central Pennsylvania dialect.

YES! (I am a Western PA native and it took getting out of the hills to understand what "to be" even meant!)

Haha!

One of the cool things about growing up in West Virginia is that you get a mix of southern dialect (like I use the word fixin' to describe what I am getting ready to do) with midwestern things like that.

Was also encouraged by the commissioning of the new psalter recently (to replace "Bible Songs" wasn't it?).

Selected Bible Songs are included in the new psalter, too, starting after 150, so no more "Number 26 in the back!" when taking requests. :)

Could someone explain how women deacons came to be in the ARPC?

There is a section of this paper on that aspect:
The Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America (Covenanter), 1888
A Historical and Biblical Examination of Women Deacons

The ARP didn't adopt women deacons until the 1960's/1970's and it primarily was used as a pressure release valve to calm the agitators pushing for women elders, which was decisively defeated by 1980. Women deacons are on their way out in the ARP by natural means.

The ARP didn't adopt women deacons until the 1960's/1970's and it primarily was used as a pressure release valve to calm the agitators pushing for women elders, which was decisively defeated by 1980. Women deacons are on their way out in the ARP by natural means.

Do you know how many women deacons are serving in the ARP? (I don't know the answer for the RPCNA.)

Do you know how many women deacons are serving in the ARP? (I don't know the answer for the RPCNA.)

I have no idea how many are serving, but it is a small minority.

I have no idea how many are serving, but it is a small minority.

The number I have seen from others (and this might be totally off) is that roughly 25% of ARP churches have female deacons.

In our presbytery (25 churches), only 1 or 2 have female deacons, at most. The one church which I know for certain did only had one such lady. She has since passed away, and now the church is closed.

According to this approved Position Paper by the ARP:
http://www.arpsynod.org/downloads/Women In the Church.pdf

the capitulation of ordaining women to the office of Deacon occurred in 1969, and in the context of declining to ordain women to the office of Elder or Minister.

That is correct. A committee studying the matter made the recommendation for women to be ordained to both offices. There was considerable debate with regard to women being ordained as elders. The recommendation was revised to only the office of deacon, and that passed w/o much resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back