The state of the heart after conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qoheleth

Puritan Board Freshman
I quoted Jeremiah 17:9 on Facebook the other day concerning those who say "Just follow your heart." While sympathisizing with my concern, a couple of my friends pointed out that Ezekiel says that we are given hearts of flesh instead of stone, and Paul says that we are new creatures in Christ, therefore, the heart of a Christian is no longer deceitful and wicked by nature. Is this true? If so, what is the cause of our wickedness as Christians? Where exactly does sin still dwell in us?

The remaining corruption. Westminster Confession of Faith:

VI. Of the Fall of Man, of Sin, and of the Punishment Thereof
(See also WLC 21-29, 149-152 & WSC 13-19, 82-84)

I. Our first parents, being seduced by the subtlety and temptation of Satan, sinned in eating the forbidden fruit.a This their sin God was pleased, according to his wise and holy counsel, to permit, having purposed to order it to his own glory.b

a. Gen 3:13; 2 Cor 11:3. • b. Rom 11:32.
II. By this sin they fell from their original righteousness and communion with God,a and so became dead in sin,b and wholly defiled in all the faculties and parts of soul and body.c

a. Gen 3:6-8; Ecc 7:29; Rom 3:23. • b. Gen 2:17; Eph 2:1. • c. Gen 6:5; Jer 17:9; Rom 3:10-19; Titus 1:15.
III. They being the root of all mankind, the guilt of this sin was imputed,a and the same death in sin and corrupted nature conveyed to all their posterity descending from them by ordinary generation.b

a. Gen 1:27-28 and Gen 2:16-17 and Acts 17:26 with Rom 5:12, 15-19 and 1 Cor 15:21-22; 1Cor 15:45, 49. • b. Gen 5:3; Job 14:4; 15:14; Psa 51:5.
IV. From this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good,a and wholly inclined to all evil,b do proceed all actual transgressions.c

a. Rom 5:6; 7:18; 8:7; Col 1:21. • b. Gen 6:5; 8:21; Rom 3:10-12. • c. Mat 15:19; Eph 2:2-3; James 1:14-15.
V. This corruption of nature, during this life, doth remain in those that are regenerated;a and although it be through Christ pardoned and mortified, yet both itself and all the motions thereof are truly and properly sin.b

a. Prov 20:9; Ecc 7:20; Rom 7:14, 17-18, 23; James 3:2; 1 John 1:8, 10. • b. Rom 7:5, 7-8, 25; Gal 5:17.​

The first 5 articles of the 5th head of the Canons of Dort also address the remaining corruption.

FIFTH HEAD OF DOCTRINE. THE PERSEVERANCE OF THE SAINTS

FIFTH HEAD: ARTICLE 1. Those whom God, according to His purpose, calls to the communion of His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, and regenerates by the Holy Spirit, He also delivers from the dominion and slavery of sin, though in this life He does not deliver them altogether form the body of sin and from the infirmities of the flesh.

FIFTH HEAD: ARTICLE 2. Hence spring forth the daily sins of infirmity, and blemishes cleave even to the best works of the saints. These are to them a perpetual reason to humiliate themselves before God and to flee for refuge to Christ crucified; to mortify the flesh more and more by the spirit of prayer and by holy exercises of piety; and to press forward to the goal of perfection, until at length, delivered from this body of death, they shall reign with the Lamb of God in heaven.

FIFTH HEAD: ARTICLE 3. By reason of these remains of indwelling sin, and also because the temptations of the world and of Satan, those who are converted could not persevere in that grace if left to their own strength. But God is faithful, who, having conferred grace, mercifully confirms and powerfully preserves them therein, even to the end.

FIFTH HEAD: ARTICLE 4. Although the weakness of the flesh cannot prevail against the power of God, who confirms and preserves true believers in a state of grace, yet converts are not always so influenced and actuated by the Spirit of God as not in some particular instances sinfully to deviate from the guidance of divine grace, so as to be seduced by and to comply with the lusts of the flesh; they must, therefore, be constant in watching and prayer, that they may not be led into temptation. When these are neglected, they are not only liable to be drawn into great and heinous sins by the flesh, the world, and Satan, but sometimes by the righteous permission of God actually are drawn into these evils. This, the lamentable fall of David, Peter, and other saints described in Holy Scripture, demonstrates.

FIFTH HEAD: ARTICLE 5. By such enormous sins, however, they very highly offend God, incur a deadly guilt, grieve the Holy Spirit, interrupt the exercise of faith, very grievously wound their consciences, and sometimes for a while lose the sense of God's favor, until, when they change their course by serious repentance, the light of God's fatherly countenance again shines upon them.

So is it proper to say that we no longer have a deceitful heart or not? I'm not sure what you two quoted out of the WCF and the Canons actually address that question directly.

Last edited:
You asked:
Where exactly does sin still dwell in us?
Emphases added:

Westminster Larger Catechism:

VI.IV. From this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good,a and wholly inclined to all evil,b do proceed all actual transgressions.c

a. Rom 5:6; 7:18; 8:7; Col 1:21. • b. Gen 6:5; 8:21; Rom 3:10-12. • c. Mat 15:19; Eph 2:2-3; James 1:14-15.​

V. This corruption of nature, during this life, doth remain in those that are regenerated;a and although it be through Christ pardoned and mortified, yet both itself and all the motions thereof are truly and properly sin.b

a. Prov 20:9; Ecc 7:20; Rom 7:14, 17-18, 23; James 3:2; 1 John 1:8, 10. • b. Rom 7:5, 7-8, 25; Gal 5:17.
XIII.II. This sanctification is throughout in the whole man,a yet imperfect in this life; there abideth still some remnants of corruption in every part,b whence ariseth a continual and irreconcilable war, the flesh lusting against the spirit, and the spirit against the flesh.c

XIII.III. In which war, although the remaining corruption for a time may much prevail,a yet, through the continual supply of strength from the sanctifying Spirit of Christ, the regenerate part doth overcome;b and so the saints grow in grace,c perfecting holiness in the fear of God.d

Westminster Larger Catechism:

Q. 78. Whence ariseth the imperfection of sanctification in believers?

A. The imperfection of sanctification in believers ariseth from the remnants of sin abiding in every part of them, and the perpetual lustings of the flesh against the spirit; whereby they are often foiled with temptations, and fall into many sins, are hindered in all their spiritual services, and their best works are imperfect and defiled in the sight of God.

Q. 81. Are all true believers at all times assured of their present being in the estate of grace, and that they shall be saved?

A.
Assurance of grace and salvation not being of the essence of faith, true believers may wait long before they obtain it; and, after the enjoyment thereof, may have it weakened and intermitted, through manifold distempers, sins, temptations, and desertions; yet are they never left without such a presence and support of the Spirit of God, as keeps them from sinking into utter despair.

Q. 195. What do we pray for in the sixth petition?

A.
In the sixth petition, (which is, And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil,) acknowledging that the most wise, righteous, and gracious God, for divers holy and just ends, may so order things that we may be assaulted, foiled, and for a time led captive by temptations; that Satan, the world, and the flesh, are ready powerfully to draw us aside and ensnare us; and that we, even after the pardon of our sins, by reason of our corruption, weakness, and want of watchfulness, are not only subject to be tempted, and forward to expose ourselves unto temptations; but also of ourselves unable and unwilling to resist them, to recover out of them, and to improve them; and worthy to be left under the power of them: we pray, that God would so overrule the world and all in it, subdue the flesh, and restrain Satan, order all things, bestow and bless all means of grace, and quicken us to watchfulness in the use of them, that we and all his people may by his providence be kept from being tempted to sin; or, if tempted, that by his Spirit we may be powerfully supported and enabled to stand in the hour of temptation; or when fallen, raised again and recovered out of it, and have a sanctified use and improvement thereof: that our sanctification and salvation may be perfected, Satan trodden under our feet, and we fully freed from sin, temptation, and all evil for ever.

I had 3 questions. My first question has not been answered. Is the heart of a Christian naturally deceitful and sick anymore? Am I to understand that corruption the WLC speaks of as also existing in the heart ("abiding in every part of them"), and thus any wickedness out of my heart is that corruption and not my heart by nature? Clearly I don't understand, so spell it out for me. Please don't just quote the catechism at me again.

Ty,

From your profile, I see you affirm the Westminster Standards. They have been quoted. I think that is one reason why the standards are being quoted. I do not think it is an attempt to sidestep your question(s).

The short answer to your question is that we sin because we are sinners, born that way. One's walk of faith begins the process of removing these effects of the fall, which will be completed at our glory to come. We remain still corrupt, none of our "good works" in our sinful state can withstand the examination of God (see Heidelberg 62). Thanks be to God we are now being transformed.

So we are not totally depraved as in the sense of the T in TULIP, yet that corruption exists in every part of our being.

I had 3 questions. My first question has not been answered. Is the heart of a Christian naturally deceitful and sick anymore? Am I to understand that corruption the WLC speaks of as also existing in the heart ("abiding in every part of them"), and thus any wickedness out of my heart is that corruption and not my heart by nature? Clearly I don't understand, so spell it out for me. Please don't just quote the catechism at me again.

I think a question to get at your the heart of the matter might be: is the heart of regenerate man still sinful? The answer is yes.
Ty,

From your profile, I see you affirm the Westminster Standards. They have been quoted. I think that is one reason why the standards are being quoted. I do not think it is an attempt to sidestep your question(s).

The short answer to your question is that we sin because we are sinners, born that way. One's walk of faith begins the process of removing these effects of the fall, which will be completed at our glory to come. We remain still corrupt, none of our "good works" in our sinful state can withstand the examination of God (see Heidelberg 62). Thanks be to God we are now being transformed.

So we are not totally depraved as in the sense of the T in TULIP, yet that corruption exists in every part of our being.

To bolster this helpful answer from Patrick, the fact is that we have an Advocate with the Father. We would need no such Advocate if we could stand on our own (we are corrupted). The good news is that this Advocate intercedes on behalf of all of our "good" works that are tainted with sin, and presents them to the Father in perfection. Thank God for such a Savior....

We are given new hearts and are called new creations despite this remaining sin. We are addressed as saints, believers, and God's children. After conversion we have new desires and begin to desire sin less and less and Christ more and more in progressive sanctification. There is nobody truly saved who only desires to do wicked continually. We can have sanctified desires and godly ambitions post-conversion, though always tainted by sin until we die.

I listened to this sermon by Reverend D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones tonight. The sermon is on Ezekiel 36:25-27. If you spend 56 minutes listening to it your questions will be answered. https://www.mljtrust.org/sermons/i-will-put-my-spirit-within-you/

Ty,

My problem was not with the quoting of the WLC- I certainly need to be made aware of what's in them (I'm quite new.) The issue was that a question of mine had not been answered, or if it had, I didn't understand how it had been, so simply quoting the catechism again wasn't going to do anything for me. All I wanted was a simple and direct answer to the question of whether Jeremiah 17:9 can be applied to the Christian today. Is any wickedness of the heart the same as that of an unbeliever's or is the heart changed by nature, and this remaining corruption is now something quite foreign to us as saints but nevertheless still influences us? Do you see what I mean?

Please don't just quote the catechism at me again.
Well, Friend, I had no idea you would feel like I was quoting something "at" you as if it were a weapon. My intention was to provide answers for (not at) you, and in words far better I could ever do myself. No offense was intended.

My problem was not with the quoting of the WLC- I certainly need to be made aware of what's in them (I'm quite new.) The issue was that a question of mine had not been answered, or if it had, I didn't understand how it had been, so simply quoting the catechism again wasn't going to do anything for me. All I wanted was a simple and direct answer to the question of whether Jeremiah 17:9 can be applied to the Christian today. Is any wickedness of the heart the same as that of an unbeliever's or is the heart changed by nature, and this remaining corruption is now something quite foreign to us as saints but nevertheless still influences us? Do you see what I mean?
Jer. 19:9 is cited in section II of the WCF, speaking to the corruption of man after the fall. This same corruption so cited is amplified in the WLC XIII.III to be seen as remaining in the believer (see the appropriate Scripture proofs). Hence the answer given.

I understand that you are new. If citation of that which you have affirmed is not "doing anything" for you, then perhaps that should signal a need to dig into these materials further before becoming so obviously frustrated. The citations of the standards, especially on a site like this one, is always a wise beginning position on matters of that which we hold dear as they represent what has been found to be accurate summaries of the teachings of Scripture. Not a few, especially myself, fear explanations explanatory of things explained. ;)

Eze. 36:26 goes to the heart of your question (pardon the pun). The new "heart" here is a new nature and power to will and to do what is good. Your nature determines the will of your "heart". Out of the abundance of the heart, we think, do, or say. Your will, your choices and your decisions are tied intrinsically to your nature. In this respect, your will, choices, and decisions are a product of your heart, your nature, and who you really are. The remnants of our corruption linger as deceitful and as desperate as ever. The grace of the Holy Spirit in our sanctification aids us in the mortification of our sinful ways.

Have I adequately answered your question? If not, what have I failed to provide in clarification?

I understand that you are new. If citation of that which you have affirmed is not "doing anything" for you, then perhaps that should signal a need to dig into these materials further before becoming so obviously frustrated. The citations of the standards, especially on a site like this one, is always a wise beginning position on matters of that which we hold dear as they represent what has been found to be accurate summaries of the teachings of Scripture. Not a few, especially myself, fear explanations explanatory of things explained. ;)
Well, Friend, I had no idea you would feel like I was quoting something "at" you as if it were a weapon. My intention was to provide answers for (not at) you, and in words far better I could ever do myself. No offense was intended.
Quoting the catechism wasn't the issue. I simply didn't see how the catechism directly answered my question the first time and so it was frustrating that the same exact quote was repeated without any explanation of what I was missing after I tried to explain the point I wasn't clear on. I wasn't dismissing my own doctrinal standards as irrelevant, I just didn't know how those quotes explicitly answered my first question. And I share your concern about explanations of things already explained, but even creeds and catechisms have commentaries. I'm sorry I was so easily bothered.
Eze. 36:26 goes to the heart of your question (pardon the pun). The new "heart" here is a new nature and power to will and to do what is good. Your nature determines the will of your "heart". Out of the abundance of the heart, we think, do, or say. Your will, your choices and your decisions are tied intrinsically to your nature. In this respect, your will, choices, and decisions are a product of your heart, your nature, and who you really are. The remnants of our corruption linger as deceitful and as desperate as ever. The grace of the Holy Spirit in our sanctification aids us in the mortification of our sinful ways.
So the heart and will are new, but the corruption remains, and that's how we still sin. Then is Jer. 17:9 still true for believers but in a different way than it is for unbelievers?
What I'm deducing is this: The unbeliever's heart is deceitful and sick by nature, but the believer's heart is deceitful and sick not of itself, but by way of the corruption that lingers in the regenerated heart. Sort of like a heap of trash no longer being a heap of trash, but still smelling like a heap of trash (if that makes sense at all.) Am I understanding that correctly?

Jer. 19:9 is cited in section II of the WCF, speaking to the corruption of man after the fall. This same corruption so cited is amplified in the WLC XIII.III to be seen as remaining in the believer (see the appropriate Scripture proofs). Hence the answer given.
Now I know what you meant. I looked back through the posts and realized that due to my own negligence, I missed that Joshua had actually quoted the WCF first and then the WLC and had not quoted the WLC twice. I thought that he was quoting the same questions in the WLC again and thus willfully being unhelpful. I understand now how you would have thought that I was ignoring the Standards and getting frustrated at nothing. Please forgive me.

Perhaps you are taking the word "Heart" too literally. There is a comparison being made between the deadness of the old nature (pictured as a heart of stone: no such thing exists, it is just saying, "You are dead, as though the heart that properly should be pumping blood was a cold hard piece of useless rock), and the alive-ness of the new nature. The new nature is like a heart that is working, is actually pumping blood, is alive. In the new birth, God makes us alive who were dead. We have hearts (figuratively speaking) that pump. We have natures that can now love God and follow His commandments. But we still have sin remaining, and it will remain within us until we are glorified. The fact that we have been given a new nature means that we will certainly be one day glorified, but it has not pleased God to glorify us at the moment of conversion.

Now I know what you meant. I looked back through the posts and realized that due to my own negligence, I missed that Joshua had actually quoted the WCF first and then the WLC and had not quoted the WLC twice. I thought that he was quoting the same questions in the WLC again and thus willfully being unhelpful. I understand now how you would have thought that I was ignoring the Standards and getting frustrated at nothing. Please forgive me.
Now you are cooking on the front burner. ;)

Paul says that we are new creatures in Christ, therefore, the heart of a Christian is no longer deceitful and wicked by nature. Is this true?

Just a thought...

I haven't had time yet to read all the posts yet but I did search for these two verses and did not see then quoted. The Bible calls a good man's heart good. But in what sense?

Luke 8:15 (KJV)
But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

I take honest and good here not as the absence of sin, but honest in the sense of agreeing with God that his heart is NOT good. Like "the publican," (in Luke 18:13) who "would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner." In that sense, he was good and honest.

Matthew 12:35 (KJV)
A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

my friends pointed out that Ezekiel says that we are given hearts of flesh instead of stone, and Paul says that we are new creatures in Christ, therefore, the heart of a Christian is no longer deceitful and wicked by nature. Is this true?

I hope this post is more to the point. It is not so much a statement than yet another question like yours.

Romans 7:20 (KJV) See also Rom. 7:17 and the context.
Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
(ESV)
Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

Is not Paul saying that although he hates the remainders of the flesh in him, he knows that it is no longer the real Paul that is sinning. Doesn't he make a separation between the flesh that clings to him and his new nature? Of sin, he boldly says that "it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me." Is that what he is saying?

I hope this post is more to the point. It is not so much a statement than yet another question like yours.

Romans 7:20 (KJV) See also Rom. 7:17 and the context.
Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
(ESV)
Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

Is not Paul saying that although he hates the remainders of the flesh in him, he knows that it is no longer the real Paul that is sinning. Doesn't he make a separation between the flesh that clings to him and his new nature? Of sin, he boldly says that "it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me." Is that what he is saying?

Exactly! The Old Man has been crucified with Christ. We are a New Creation. Period. The reason we still sin is because the power of sin still dwells in our mortal body (the flesh). This is why Paul can say "it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me."

Exactly! The Old Man has been crucified with Christ. We are a New Creation. Period. The reason we still sin is because the power of sin still dwells in our mortal body (the flesh). This is why Paul can say "it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me."
Reverend D.Martyn Lloyd-Jones in volume 5 of An Exposition of Ephesians, page 140-141, or you can hear the sermon ;
http://www.mljtrust.org/sermons/when-not-to-pray-but-to-act/
What then, is the teaching concerning the putting off of the old man The first principle is clear. The 'putting off' is something that the Christian has to do. It is not something that is done for him. The exhortation comes to him as a definite command.'Put off the old man'! I begin by stating the requirement negatively. Putting off the old man is not something that is to be prayed about That sounds most unspiritual, does it not? Imagine a preacher in a Christian pulpit telling people that they are not to pray about this matter! But it is essential that we should say that, because there is a tendency on the part of many people, whatever the problem is, to say glibly and immediately, 'We must pray about it! We must take it to the Lord in prayer.' It is quite simple, they say, there is nothing to do but to pray. Is anything worrying you? pray about it! Not at all, says Paul; you do not pray about this, you put off the old man; get on with it! There is something almost violent about this ; and I think it needs violence, because there is a great deal of sickly sentimentality and false piety concerning this matter, which leads certain people to live a kind of spiritual life ever in the doldrums. Of course we need to pray about everything, our whole life should be a life of prayer. We should pray without ceasing. what I am saying is that you do not solve this problem by just praying about it. The Apostle does not say to the Christians in Ephesus, with regard to this problem, I want you to pray about it. Far from it. He in fact says For these reasons that I have given you, put off that old man; you do not pray about this, I am telling you to do it; Get on with it and do it.

Reverend D.Martyn Lloyd-Jones in volume 5 of An Exposition of Ephesians, page 140-141, or you can hear the sermon ;
http://www.mljtrust.org/sermons/when-not-to-pray-but-to-act/

Romans 6:6 "Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin." (KJV)

"We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin." (ESV)

Romans 6:6 "Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin." (KJV)

"We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin." (ESV)
Not to belabor the point, but ....... In Romans 7 I read it for the first time and felt I was 'off the hook' for my sinful nature because it was 'no longer I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.' Then I read on and was encouraged by verse 1-a, but felt a bit less complacent at verse 1-b.
1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
My impression is that to walk after the Spirit is the equivalent of 'putting off the old man.'

Not to belabor the point, but ....... In Romans 7 I read it for the first time and felt I was 'off the hook' for my sinful nature because it was 'no longer I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.' Then I read on and was encouraged by verse 1-a, but felt a bit less complacent at verse 1-b.
1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
My impression is that to walk after the Spirit is the equivalent of 'putting off the old man.'

That very is talking about the Flesh (Sarc) which is the mortal body. I am not to walk in line with the desires of my mortal body. But the flesh does not equal the old man/nature. My old nature was crucified also it no longer resides in my Soul and Spirit but sin does still reside in the mortal body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back