The Surety of the Promises vs our Sense of Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

AdMEANistrator
Staff member
The Reverend Andrew Gray distinguishing between the surety/reality of the promises of the Gospel and the receiver’s sense of and comfort by them (Works, pp. 129-130):

The second rule that we would prescribe in the application of the promises is, that ye do not expect sensible comforts immediately after ye have believed the promise. A Christian may apply the promises, and yet want the joy and sweetness that is in them; this is clear, Psal. 119:25, My soul cleaveth unto the dust. There he is under much anxiety, and much sorrow; and yet he is a believer of the promises in the meantime, as the words following do clear, quicken me according to thy word: he layeth claim to the promise; and this is clear in the 81st verse of that Psalm, My soul doth faint within me: there is much exercise of sorrow, and yet he is a believer of the promise; but I hope in thy word. A Christian after he hath believed the promise would put a blank in Christ’s hand concerning the sweetness of the promise, to be made out in its own time. What is sense? It is the precious indulgence of Christ, that he giveth to his own. I would press this upon you—prophesy nothing before your believing of the promise; but having believed, ye may surely prophesy, that the promise shall be accomplished in its own time, and the word that he hath spoken shall certainly come to pass. But as for sense, as for quickening, as for comforting, as for receiving, ye must put a blank in the hand of Christ, to dispense these things to you as he seeth fit.​

Thanks for sharing. My wife and I just started listening to Beeke's "Living By God's Promises." Andrew Gray is one of the three Puritans the work is based on. Audible has it for $6 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back