The Sword of the Prophet (Trifkovic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
Trifkovic, Serge. The Sword of the Prophet. Regina Orthodox Press, 2002.

Dr Trifkovic gives us a comprehensive analysis of Islam. In terms of narrating and critiquing Islam, there isn’t much new material here. However, Trifkovic’s world-class expertise into the Balkans and post-Communist history shed much uncomfortable light in the role the United States has played in funding and supporting the worst of militant Islam around the world.

In terms of analyzing Mohammed, both morally and theologically, Trifkovic relies on the critiques previously given by Belloc, Lewis, and Geisler, along with standard works from The Catholic Encyclopedia. Against those who justify Mohammed’s actions (e.g., raiding caravans, consummating marriage with a 9 year old, seducing his daughter-in-law, etc) by saying that was standard culture for the time, Trifkovic masterfully points out that if that were true, Mohammed would not have invented a subsequent revelation justifying his actions!

Trifkovic then recounts the nightmare of Islam overrunning the Byzantine Empire, Palestine, and India. According to Will Durant, whom Trifkovic quotes, the Muslim conquest of India was one of the worst catastrophes for all of human civilization. Moving to Europe, even as late as 1922, the Muslim Turks were slaughtering Greek Christians by the thousands.

What can be done? The situation is grim. The crisis is not because of the strength of Islam. The crisis is rather a crisis of the heart. Europeans (and to a lesser degree Americans) simply lack the will to resist. They lack the vision of a comprehensive faith. It is not so much that the Elites love Islam, but rather they hate Christians.

Conclusion:

This is a polemical text, but a relatively accurate one. His main insight and gain is that Islam's justifying Muhammed's actions by subsequent revelation proves he wasn't simply acting according to the moral norms of his time.

Thanks for the lead.

I am listening to this lecture at the moment:

Have you read Douglas Murray's The Strange Death of Europe? I think many of the concerns raised in the above lecture and Murray's book can, sadly, be applied to America.

The migrant crisis was a trojan horse to export Islam to the western world in devastating numbers.

Thanks for the lead.

I am listening to this lecture at the moment:

Have you read Douglas Murray's The Strange Death of Europe? I think many of the concerns raised in the above lecture and Murray's book can, sadly, be applied to America.

The migrant crisis was a trojan horse to export Islam to the western world in devastating numbers.

I remember when he was on that channel. Serge used to write for Chronicles Magazine. He's one of the sharpest geopolitical analysts out there. I've heard of Murray's book but I haven't read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back