The teachings of Christ are sanctifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Thomas Boston, Works, 1:435-436:

The teachings of Christ are sanctifying and renewing: they change and reform the heart, Eph. 4:21-23, “If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: That ye put off concerning the former conversation, the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind.” You see here that holiness and purity is the effect of divine teaching; holiness both external and internal, negative and positive. All the discoveries of God which Christ makes to the soul, have an assimilating quality, and change it into his own likeness, 2 Cor. 3:18.

Thank you I've just e-mailed that round some of the brethren.

Have just come off a lovely "communion weekend" I don't know if those are still practiced down in Australia? Anyway, a very encouraging thing to read.

Have just come off a lovely "communion weekend" I don't know if those are still practiced down in Australia? Anyway, a very encouraging thing to read.

There are some small bodies, like ourselves, which continue to maintain the communion season, but I regret it is a rare occurrence in Australia. My experience is that they have always been wonderful times of refreshing. Thomas Boston thought so too. It is difficult to understand why they are neglected.

I don't mean to interrupt, but as a baptist in Georgia, please pardon my ignorance.

What is a "communion season"?

What a wonderfully edifying excerpt from Boston, by the way. Thank you for sharing it, Rev. Winzer.

What is a "communion season"?

From Samuel Rutherford's Peaceable and Temperate Plea:

This Sacrament requiring a self-examination going before, 1 Cor. 11.28. Therefore a Sermon of preparation is preached the day before, even as Christ prepared and dieted his guests with heavenly Sermons preceding the action, as is clear, Luke 22.14, 15; Mark 14.18-20; Mat. 26. 21-23; John 13.13-16. A Table is covered, not an Altar erected, as is Luke 22.21; John 13.28. A Sermon for the purpose in hand is preached before, as Christ doth, John 13.18-20; Mat. 26.22, 23; as a Sermon goeth before Baptism, Acts 8.35, 39; Acts 19.4-6. The banqueters sit down at Table, even as Jesus sat down with the twelve Disciples, as is Mat. 26.20 and 28; Mark 14.18 and 22; the Lord honouring them with Table-honour with himself, as is clear, Luke 22.21; John 13.24, 28. The Pastor taketh the bread, and before he break it, he giveth thanks, and prayeth for the blessing of the Elements, to the end and use appointed by Christ, even as Christ did, Mat. 26.26; and thereafter taketh the bread, rehearseth the words of the institution, and breaketh the bread, and giveth to the banqueters, and they divide it amongst them, at Christ's commandment; as also he taketh the cup, and saith, drink ye all of this, this is the New Testament, etc., as Christ did, Mat. 26.26, 27; Mark 14.22, 23; Luke 22.19, 20; v. 17. In the mean time while the people are eating and drinking, the Pastor is speaking of Christ's love in dying for man, of the Lord's death, of faith required in annunciating the Lord's death till he come again, even as Christ all the while entertained his guests with heavenly Sermons, as is clear, Mat. 26.28, 29; Mark 14.25; Luke 22.21, 22; John 13; and having done, they sing a Psalm, as Christ and his Disciples did, Mat. 6.28; Mark 14.26; all the while Elders in reverend and decent manner attend the service of the Table as the banquet requireth; for that some serve at that Supper is gathered from Mat. 26.19; Mark 14.15; where mention is made of a large upper room furnished and prepared, which is a clear warrant for a large Table, a clean and fair Table-cloth, Basons, Cups, and vessels decent and comely for that service, and from Christ his girding himself with a towel, and washing their feet, and standing as a servant, John 13.4-6; Luke 22.27. The nature of the Sacrament requires thanksgiving, and therefore afternoon a Sermon of thanksgiving is preached, which is also warranted from Mat. 26.30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back