The "thing" about modern films

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, that is one good example too of a film I didn't get at all :)

I watched "No country for old men" and afterwards I thought to myself "why is this film good"?

Can I please have your personal opinions as to why it is great?

I watched "No country for old men" and afterwards I thought to myself "why is this film good"?

I'll bite. There are several things that make this a great movie. First, from a purely production standpoint it's top notch. The acting is superb, the direction is beautiful, and the script is a masterpiece. I could further expand on any of those if need be.
As for the story line, it was a great work of showing the problem with evil in the world. Tommy Lee Jones character struggle with how to handle it. As a sheriff, he had seen so much evil in his lifetime - sometimes he was directly responsible for preventing it or stopping it. Then there were times that he couldn't stop it - in the particular instance of this film. It left him with a seared conscience and he wasn't sure how to handle it. Second, the antagonist gives an interesting view into the mind of a "villain". He is cold and many times kills solely on chance (the coin flip). But as much of a stone-cold killer that he is, he still is not above the laws of chance himself (the car wreck at the end).

Many people complained that they didn't like the ending, but I always ask people, "okay if you were directing how would you have ended it?" I mean what else do people want to happen in the film? All the loose ends are tied up, so there really isn't anything left to show/do in the movie.

Philosophically the movie was nihilistic, i.e., no redemption within the story line. The appeal of the movie is the display of the depravity of man. There's truth in recreating the sinful condition of man. Which was done well in the movie. Without the redemptive value, which tends to make a movie great, the movie appealed to the worthlessness of human life. In the end we all die and there's no justice. The movie really centered on three points: The villain and his lust for murder, Josh Brolin's character and his lust for riches, and the sheriff and his lust for passivity. All of these "lusts" are elements of the depravity of man.

In our culture, I would say there's a great deal of value in depicting real evil. This is one reason why I thought The Dark Knight was such a great film. First, it's always good to see visual homage to the great film noir and expressionist genres, but second was its honest portrayal of evil and the questions of how to respond to it. These are questions that our culture needs to ask.

In our culture, I would say there's a great deal of value in depicting real evil. This is one reason why I thought The Dark Knight was such a great film. First, it's always good to see visual homage to the great film noir and expressionist genres, but second was its honest portrayal of evil and the questions of how to respond to it. These are questions that our culture needs to ask.

Thank you sir. That's another one on my list. The Dark Knight was a masterpiece of film.

I'll bite. There are several things that make this a great movie. First, from a purely production standpoint it's top notch. The acting is superb, the direction is beautiful, and the script is a masterpiece. I could further expand on any of those if need be.
As for the story line, it was a great work of showing the problem with evil in the world. Tommy Lee Jones character struggle with how to handle it. As a sheriff, he had seen so much evil in his lifetime - sometimes he was directly responsible for preventing it or stopping it. Then there were times that he couldn't stop it - in the particular instance of this film. It left him with a seared conscience and he wasn't sure how to handle it. Second, the antagonist gives an interesting view into the mind of a "villain". He is cold and many times kills solely on chance (the coin flip). But as much of a stone-cold killer that he is, he still is not above the laws of chance himself (the car wreck at the end).

Many people complained that they didn't like the ending, but I always ask people, "okay if you were directing how would you have ended it?" I mean what else do people want to happen in the film? All the loose ends are tied up, so there really isn't anything left to show/do in the movie.

I enjoyed the cinematography too. The art side to it, the landscapes, the shots, the angles, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back