The Toll of Business Increasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
"Next week I am to be at Ramsgate, the following at Reading. A fortnight's absence from home will produce as many necessary engagements when I come back as can be well dispatched in a month. Some must visit us, others must be visited; letters must be answered; every day forestalled, every hour too short. What can I do? especially as indolence and a sort of dissipation and unsteadiness increase upon one as business increases."

John Newton to William Cowper, September 30, 1780

While the Devil makes work for idle hands, he also knows how to make too much work for busy hands. One thing that you have to give Satan credit for is that he never puts all his eggs in one basket. If you are not prone to be ensnared with idleness, he will use your diligence as a way of tempting you to worldliness.

While the Devil makes work for idle hands, he also knows how to make too much work for busy hands. One thing that you have to give Satan credit for is that he never puts all his eggs in one basket. If you are not prone to be ensnared with idleness, he will use your diligence as a way of tempting you to worldliness.
This is true. I have always been prone to idleness, but now I have a job that involves long hours and a never-ending supply of work. I’ve been surprised to find that diligently applying myself to my job is almost as fraught with temptation as idleness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back