The Top Ten Ways to Tell if You Might Be a DISPENSATIONALIST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANT

Puritan Board Junior
This was in an e-mail I received from Kenneth Gentry. I wasn't quite sure where to post it. Here is the letter ...

The Top Ten Ways to Tell if You Might Be a DISPENSATIONALIST

10. If you like to chew gum so your ears won't pop at the Rapture.

9. If you always leave the top down on your convertible - just in case.

8. If bar code scanners make you nervous.

7. If you have been a Christian for less than one year and your pastor has already preached through the Book of Revelation twelve times.

6. If your church has adapted into a Christian hymn the 1960s pop song"Up, Up and Away."

5. If you think General Revelation is the commander in chief of the armies of Armageddon.

4. If you can name more dispensations than commandments.

3. If you've already forgotten the last wrongly predicted date for the rapture.

2. If you believe that there is an original Greek and Hebrew text of Scofield's notes.

1. If you believe that the term "Early Church Fathers" refers to C. I. Scofield and Lewis Sperry Chafer.

Now that you have taken the test, you know whether or not you are a dispensationalist. If you are NOT, you may want to help underwrite my writing of a postmillennial preterist commentary on Revelation. Since last contacting you, I am now up to 40% of the goal needed in order to engage this project full-time.

As I mentioned in a previous e-mail (to which a number of folks have responded), my busy schedule as a full-time pastor hindered my completing the project. Now, however, a very real opportunity for finishing my commentary has arisen.

Recently, a combination of circumstances and the interest of potential donors has encouraged me to return to my Revelation commentary on a full time basis. Consequently, I am now raising money to underwrite my working full-time on the commentary. To provide adequate time for the focused concentration required for up-dating, expanding, and completing my research and writing, I need to raise funds to cover 12 months of a full-time salary package, certain office expenses, and additional research-related costs.

Someone responded: "John Calvin was a full-time pastor he was able to write commentaries, why can't you?" I have adequate answers to that concern:

(1) You will notice Calvin didn't produce a commentary on Revelation. If he had been able to generate some funds from his website, he may have freed up the time to do so. I don't want to make the marketing mistake he did.

(2) Calvin worked so hard he only lived to be 55 years old. I want to live longer than that (in fact, that is how old I am right now!). My guess is: He may have been trying to write a commentary on Revelation without sufficient financial support, and this was too much for him.

(3) He wrote in French; everyone knows English is a more complex and difficult language. It is really slowing me down to work in my native tongue. For instance, I can't think of another word for "thesaurus."

There are THREE WAYS YOU CAN GIVE TO THIS REVELATION COMMENTARY PROJECT. One of these is tax deductible.

First, you can send a TAX-DEDUCTIBLE check to The Patrick Henry institute. Please write your check to "Patrick Henry Institute," and designate it for the Revelation Commentary Project on your check's Memo line. Then send it to:

The Patrick Henry Institute
434 Rivermont Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24504

The Patrick Henry Institute is excited about the project and has agreed to partially fund it. I appreciate their help in raising funds.

Second, you can give on-line by using your credit card at KennethGentry.Com. Just click "Categories," then click on "REVELATION COMMENTARY Project." Choose one of the four optional amounts and your gift will be debited from your credit card. Since KennethGentry.Com is not a 501 (c) 3 entity, this gift will not be tax-deductible.

Third, you can mail a check to KennethGentry.Com in any amount you choose. Once again, this option does not afford you a tax deduction for your gift. Please clearly designate your check to the REVELATION COMMENTARY Project, write it to: KennethGentry.Com, and mail it to:

KennethGentry.Com
Revelation Commentary Project
P.O. Box 1874
Fountain Inn, SC 29644

I MUST MAKE A DECISION SOON as to whether I can re-engage this research project. Otherwise my narrow window of opportunity will close. I have until OCTOBER 7 to raise the funds in order to make the decision. Your help is much needed and will be greatly appreciated. Won't you "put your hand to the plow" with me to make this Revelation Commentary dream a reality?

Thank you!

Kenneth Gentry

Hey Scofield's notes are given by inspiration of God and profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction in righteousness that the servant of the Lord... oh never mind!
:bigsmile:

:sing:
My hope is built on nothing less,
Than Scofield's Notes and Moody Press.

:lol:

:chained: *sigh* This thread only serves to increase my anxiety as to my eschatology. I feel like I am in the eschatological wastelands. I am not a covenant theologian, nor am I a dispensationalist. :candle: Well I don't think I am a covenant theologian, and I don't think that I am still a dispensationalist. I'm not really sure what that makes me. Here is what I believe:

1. Jesus is coming again. I don't believe He is coming twice (once in the air and once on the Mt. of Olives).

2. I no longer believe the scriptures teach a pretribulational rapture. In fact, I don't believe the scriptures teach a rapture...period.

3. I am not sure I buy the Israel-Church connection of Covenant Theology.

4. I am most definitely credo-baptistic. I don't know how this plays into eschatology, but I have been called a dispensationalist because I am credo.

5. I DO believe in a 1000 year milennium.

Thats about it for now. I'm a man without a country!

:D

A-HA! You may be a classic pre-millenialist. In that case you would probably enjoy stuff by George Eldon Ladd, now deceased! (Psst, now he's an Ah-millenialist!:bigsmile: ) Also, you're a credobaptist, no surprise to you. I don't think it automatically makes you a Dispensationalist, just not a Presbyterian.

Cheers!

[Edited on 9-19-2005 by turmeric]

Originally posted by ANT
My hope is built on nothing less,
Than Scofield's Notes and Moody Press.

:lol:

Somehow, I don't feel right continuing on with...

I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Scofield's Name.

Oh-No-- Somebody shoot me... I just committed a grave blasphemy. How about a little corrective and damage control?

Refrain
On the dispensationalist hermneutic I stand,
I suddenly realized I'm in sinking sand;
I suddenly realized I'm in sinking sand.
[gurgling quicksand]

Come on sing along everyone

BTW Making parodies of hymns isn't grounds for banning your account on Puritanboard is it?

Originally posted by turmeric
A-HA! You may be a classic pre-millenialist. In that case you would probably enjoy stuff by George Eldon Ladd, now deceased! (Psst, now he's an Ah-millenialist!:bigsmile: ) Also, you're a credobaptist, no surprise to you. I don't think it automatically makes you a Dispensationalist, just not a Presbyterian.

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure he's Postmil now ... :lol: :banana:

Just Funnin!

Originally posted by ANT
Originally posted by turmeric

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure he's Postmil now ... :lol: :banana:

Just Funnin!

I'm petrified to think of where/what I will be in ten years!

Actually, Ladd's views are kind of mine for now-- so I am historic premil for now... Unless I defect to amil... Uber-confused, yet I know my eschatology, and I've read on all the major eschatological views-- the more I study the less certain I become. Ironic!

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Actually, Ladd's views are kind of mine for now-- so I am historic premil for now... Unless I defect to amil... Uber-confused, yet I know my eschatology, and I've read on all the major eschatological views-- the more I study the less certain I become. Ironic!

Ironically, I think I am comfortable with Ladd's views on the Kingdom. I think if he were consistent he wouldn't be...

Originally posted by Draught Horse
Originally posted by Puritanhead

Ironically, I think I am comfortable with Ladd's views on the Kingdom. I think if he were consistent he wouldn't be...

I am still dissecting Ladd... and putting together the puzzle pieces--

Originally posted by OS_X
Hey! I just realized you said you were in Danville. That's about an hour south of Richmond, right ?

It is more like three hours southwest on U.S. Hwy 360. I'm forty-five minutes north of Greensboro, NC on the state line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back