The Trinity and the Covenant of Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate

Puritan Board Junior
I'm just finishing J.V. Fesko's 2016 book, The Trinity and the Covenant of Redemption. This is my first time reading more than an internet thread on this topic. Does anyone know how Fesko's work compares to other treatments of the Covenant of Redemption? Any recommendations for other books on the topic? In his book, Fesko's mentioned that there have only been 3 books in the last 325 years specifically dedicated to the Covenant of Redemption, so perhaps searching through various systematic theologies is my best bet?

Which three works does he name? James Durham remarks on it on a popular level throughout his sermons on Isaiah 53. David Dickson's and Durham's Sum of Saving Knowledge also notes it, again popular level.

He makes the comment in the Preface, but doesn't cite the three books. From citations in the section on origins and development of the doctrine, it appears he may be referring to Obadiah Sedgwick's The Bowels of Tender Mercy Sealed in the Everlasting Covenant, Patrick Gillespie's The Ark of the Covenant Openened: or a Treatise of the Covenant of Redemption Between God and Christ, and perhaps Rutherford's The Covenant of Life Opened or Thomas Goodwin's Christ the Mediator.

He does spend quite a bit of space on Dickson and Durham. With your recommendation, Durham and Dickson look like a good place to start.

See Sermon 27 of Durham's 72 sermons on Isaiah 53, and before and after but mainly that one I think, which I happen to be proof reading this morning for a reissue of all of Durham's sermons sometime next year, D.V.

Nate, both HH and Bavinck cover the covenant of redemption in their reformed dogmatics. Look under pactum salutis.

Charles Hodge's ST would a great resource as well. He does a good job comparing and contrasting to the covenant of grace. Berkhof's ST also has a helpful section on it but he doesn't get into very many practical or theological implications.

Also, all these either are about the CoR or have whole chapters/sections on the topic:
The Covenant of Redemption - by Samuel Willard (1640-1707)
God's Covenant and Our Duty by Samuel Willard
Christ, The Righteousness of His People, Richard Rawlin
The Covenant of Life Opened, by Samuel Rutherford
The Sinner's Justifying Righteousness, John Beart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back