The True, the Good, and the Beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
Someone called these "three great transcendentals." This sort of parallels John Frame's Triad, though I did not get this from Frame.

We see these illustrated in Christian denominations.

Presbyterians: We are concerned with *TRUTH*. We are okay on goodness, but severely lack beauty.
Baptists: "Be good!"
Anglicans: Beauty. There churches are beautiful. Truth? Well, back to beauty.

I got this idea (the above illustration was from RC Sproul) from a number of differing theologians. I am trying to explore it out.

Someone called these "three great transcendentals." This sort of parallels John Frame's Triad, though I did not get this from Frame.

Presbyterians: We are concerned with *TRUTH*. We are okay on goodness, but severely lack beauty.

I got this idea (the above illustration was from RC Sproul) from a number of differing theologians. I am trying to explore it out.

I'm interested in just knowing what beauty is!

I'm interested in just knowing what beauty is!

Beauty is defined (by me) this way. Does it make you want to look again?

If a plain woman walks into a room, people look up to see who interrupted their conversation, if a beautiful woman walks into a room people (men and women) do a "double take".

A stroll though the local evangelical mega-church might give you pause because of its vastness. A trip to an Anglican "big-steeple" church can end up taking all day.

A Monet ( or any other impressionist ****) will hold your attention (if at all) for a few moments only. Art museums do not stay open long enough to fully *see* a picture by an old master.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back