The Twelfth Apostle?

Discussion in 'The Gospels & Acts' started by PointyHaired Calvinist, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PointyHaired Calvinist

PointyHaired Calvinist Puritan Board Sophomore

I say Paul, what say you?

2. Zach

Zach Puritan Board Junior

I've often wondered this in light of Revelation 21:14. I really don't know the answer. It seems that both of them legitimately assumed the office of apostle and that there are thirteen apostles and not twelve. I would have to say that Matthias was made to be an apostle before Paul was and therefore he is the twelfth apostle. I am really interested in hearing peoples thoughts on this especially about how it pertains to a specific mention of the twelve apostles in Revelation 21:14.

3. Contra_Mundum

Contra_Mundum Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger Staff Member

Act 1:16 & 20 & 24 & 26 all indicate that the impulse to replace Judas, as well as the selection of Mattias, was divine in origin. He was the Lord's choice.

4. KMK

KMK Administrator Staff Member

If you are going to reject Mathias, then why not Barnabas? Acts 14:14

Paul doesn't speak of himself as one of the twelve, nor does Luke. Paul and Luke see his role as an extraordinary case of apostleship to the Gentiles.

5. Peairtach

Peairtach Puritan Board Doctor

Matthias was the twelfth apostle and Paul was the thirteenth.

Just as Reuben's betrayal of his father in sleeping his concubine led to an increase and strengthening in the tribes from 12 to 13, so did Judas's sin in betraying Christ lead to an increase and strengthening in the number of the apostles. :2cents:

6. Southern Presbyterian

Southern Presbyterian Moderator Staff Member

7. Romans922

Romans922 Puritan Board Professor

How could anyone even question this? :scratch: See Scripture mentioned in Bruce's post?

8. Peairtach

Peairtach Puritan Board Doctor

Remember that in Revelation the numerical significance of the number 12 is more important than that 13 apostles should be mentioned.

Revelation is a highly symbolical book.

9. PaulMc

PaulMc Puritan Board Freshman

I vote Matthias, for the Scriptures Bruce referenced.
    There is a thought that Paul replaced James (killed by Herod) - I'm not sure what that would make him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.