The use of OT prophecy in Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSon

Puritan Board Junior
Could any of my brethren point me in the direction of some books that deal comprehensively with the use of OT prophecy in the book of Acts? Commentary suggestions would be appreciated as well if the treatment is in-depth.

These do not deal exclusively with the book of Acts but may be of help.

I know that Walter Kaiser has a book Three Views on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament.

Also The Theology of the Older Testament by J. Barton Payne might be of some help. Read that years ago.

Have you started with Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament, edited by G.K. Beale and D.A. Carson? It's become a much-used reference for me, thick and comprehensive, and you get a volume that'll be useful long after you've finished with Acts. If you're looking for something even more Acts-specific and in-depth, I'm afraid I can't help. But this book is usually enough to get me pointed in the right direction and noticing things I otherwise would've overlooked.

Have you started with Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament, edited by G.K. Beale and D.A. Carson? It's become a much-used reference for me, thick and comprehensive, and you get a volume that'll be useful long after you've finished with Acts. If you're looking for something even more Acts-specific and in-depth, I'm afraid I can't help. But this book is usually enough to get me pointed in the right direction and noticing things I otherwise would've overlooked.

I need to take another look at the book, as it is one I have. On a side note, Dr. Beale is conducting a Scripture conference at our church on the 27th and 28th and the other pastoral interns and I get to pepper him with questions over lunch on the first day. I will certainly ask him what his suggestions would be for the topic I am seeking.

Count me as another yes vote on Beale/Carson. It's great, the contributing authors are really a "who's-who" of NT commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back