The very essence of truth is clearness, not vagueness

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
A. A. Hodge, "The Higher Life."

A mystical tendency may well coexist with true Christianity, and with many estimable personal qualities; yet it always tends to evil. Hence its first symptom among Evangelical Christians, which is a religious sentimentalism, associated with an inveterate vagueness of ideas and indefiniteness of statement, is to be carefully shunned. No one truth is rightly held till it is clearly conceived and stated, and no single truth is adequately comprehended till it is viewed in harmonious relations to all the other truths of the system of which Christ is the centre. The very essence of truth, like light, is clearness, not vagueness; and it necessarily seeks expression through definite articulations, and not through the medium of shadowy mezzo-tints, or oscillating lines, like the sheen of watered silk.

Thank you for that. I found the article to be a blast of fresh clear air through the smog of our day.

Providentially, I was thinking of Acts 17:11 before I saw this--especially the phrase "with all readiness of mind...."

I have the A A Hodge collection as part of my Logos Portfolio package.
Can you please recommend a good book from this list for a novice Hodgite.

1. A Commentary on the Confession of Faith
2. Manual of Forms for Baptism, Admission to the Communion, Administration of the Lord’s Supper,
Marriage, and Funerals, Ordination of Elders and Deacons, Etc.
3. Outlines of Theology
4. Popular Lectures on Theological Themes
5. The Atonement
6. The Life of Charles Hodge
7. A Discourse in Memory of A. A. Hodge
8. Westminster Doctrine anent Holy Scripture: Tractates by A. A. Hodge and B. B. Warfield
9. The System of Theology Contained in the Westminster Shorter Catechism Opened and Explained
10. Princetoniana: Charles and A. A. Hodge, with Class and Table Talk of Hodge the Younger
11. Outlines of Theology

Last edited:

American Presbyterianism is not my forte as I usually roam through the glens of Scottish theology, but the Commentary on the Confession would be one book I could recommend, mostly because he was subject to the Confession in what he wrote.

Excellent quote from an excellent writer. When I ponder Princeton's fall, it often brings me, not only a deep sadness, but a blunt reminder of the vigilance we must all exert in contending, defending, and bearing witness to the faith.

American Presbyterianism is not my forte as I usually roam through the glens of Scottish theology, but the Commentary on the Confession would be one book I could recommend, mostly because he was subject to the Confession in what he wrote.

Since you "roam through the glens of Scottish theology," Matthew, are you aware that the Banner of Truth Trust is re-publishing John Macleod's Scottish Theology in Relation to Church History (1943) again - this time as a hardback with the text newly reset?

A mystical tendency may well coexist with true Christianity, and with many estimable personal qualities; yet it always tends to evil. Hence its first symptom among Evangelical Christians, which is a religious sentimentalism, associated with an inveterate vagueness of ideas and indefiniteness of statement, is to be carefully shunned. No one truth is rightly held till it is clearly conceived and stated, and no single truth is adequately comprehended till it is viewed in harmonious relations to all the other truths of the system of which Christ is the centre. The very essence of truth, like light, is clearness, not vagueness; and it necessarily seeks expression through definite articulations, and not through the medium of shadowy mezzo-tints, or oscillating lines, like the sheen of watered silk.

Where can this article be accessed?

Where can this article be accessed?

https://books.google.com/books?id=RxwFAAAAQAAJ&lpg=PA384&ots=mFswqIUfRk&dq=%22No%20one%20truth%20is%20rightly%20held%22%22comprehended%20till%20it%20is%20viewed%20in%20harmonious%20relations%22&pg=PA384#v=onepage&q=%22No%20one%20truth%20is%20rightly%20held%22%22comprehended%20till%20it%20is%20viewed%20in%20harmonious%20relations%22&f=false

The article begins on page 379.

I got the link from Chris in this thread: http://www.puritanboard.com/showthread.php/87655-Verifying-A-A-Hodge-quotation?p=1085844#post1085844

Since you "roam through the glens of Scottish theology," Matthew, are you aware that the Banner of Truth Trust is re-publishing John Macleod's Scottish Theology in Relation to Church History (1943) again - this time as a hardback with the text newly reset?

Richard, yes, I heard that somewhere, and I hope another generation may find it a useful map of the glens.

Richard, yes, I heard that somewhere, and I hope another generation may find it a useful map of the glens.

Indeed, I have found looking through the eyes of one born raised in the "American" experience has provided enough fog that is very thick.

I have the A A Hodge collection as part of my Logos Portfolio package.

2. Manual of Forms for Baptism, Admission to the Communion, Administration of the Lord’s Supper,
Marriage, and Funerals, Ordination of Elders and Deacons, Etc.
3. Outlines of Theology
4. Popular Lectures on Theological Themes
5. The Atonement
6. The Life of Charles Hodge
7. A Discourse in Memory of A. A. Hodge
8. Westminster Doctrine anent Holy Scripture: Tractates by A. A. Hodge and B. B. Warfield
9. The System of Theology Contained in the Westminster Shorter Catechism Opened and Explained
10. Princetoniana: Charles and A. A. Hodge, with Class and Table Talk of Hodge the Younger
11. Outlines of Theology

His popular lectures are a delight, and quite enlightening. He had a wonderful precision to his thought and expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back