The Way Things Used To Be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
So South Carolina has an agritourism law, where the owners of farms are not responsible in any way for people's injuries or death on their property. So we went to this farm in the country today for their fall festival, and it was awesome. It totally reminded me of the way things were when I was a kid. There were no employees watching over people, there were awesome rides, equipment, and things that everyone used at their own risk and discretion, there was an open fire with no one monitoring it, there was a corn maze that was a few miles long. It was just basically all there for people to have fun with it however they wanted to, without having to be concerned about somebody telling them to "not do this or not do that." There was plenty of stuff there that could have actually been dangerous for people if used the wrong way. It seems like the owners just expect people to be responsible, and for parents to oversee their children, and they just let people do what they want there. But it was such a freeing and enjoyable environment. It really made me miss the way the culture was even 25 years ago. So much has changed. Can anyone relate?

Like look at the silo in the back of this picture. Literally anyone could have just climbed up this, and the top was even rusty. No one was going to tell people what to do or not do with it. It was just there if anyone wanted to do something fun on it.
IMG_20221015_180304504.jpg

Last edited:
That sanity has a long way to spread before it makes up here to northern British Columbia!

How’s the Reformed presence up in Houston? I spent 99% of my life in the Okanagan. Moved recently.

So South Carolina has an agritourism law, where the owners of farms are not responsible in any way for people's injuries or death on their property. So we went to this farm in the country today for their fall festival, and it was awesome. It totally reminded me of the way things were when I was a kid. There were no employees watching over people, there were awesome rides, equipment, and things that everyone used at their own risk and discretion, there was an open fire with no one monitoring it, there was a corn maze that was a few miles long. It was just basically all there for people to have fun with it however they wanted to, without having to be concerned about somebody telling them to "not do this or not do that." There was plenty of stuff there that could have actually been dangerous for people if used the wrong way. It seems like the owners just expect people to be responsible, and for parents to oversee their children, and they just let people do what they want there. But it was such a freeing and enjoyable environment. It really made me miss the way the culture was even 25 years ago. So much has changed. Can anyone relate?

Like look at the silo in the back of this picture. Literally anyone could have just climbed up this, and the top was even rusty. No one was going to tell people what to do or not do with it. It was just there if anyone wanted to do something fun on it.
View attachment 9639
One wonders how these laws comport with general equity principles from OT laws concerned with ensuring that reasonable measures were to be taken to ensure one's property was not conducive to injury or death. Think fences around the roof.

I totally would have climbed that silo when I was twelve, and all my friends with me. And happily, where I lived no one would have stopped me (though Mom would have been a bit worried).

I totally would have climbed that silo when I was twelve, and all my friends with me. And happily, where I lived no one would have stopped me (though Mom would have been a bit worried).
Dutch troublemakers roaming the countryside.

How’s the Reformed presence up in Houston? I spent 99% of my life in the Okanagan. Moved recently.
Well, we're a pretty small town with two whole Reformed churches. And there's 4 more within a 45 minute drive north of here. So yeah, we're pretty well stocked with Dutch folks.

I didn’t know that. Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back