The Whole Works of John Hurrion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenderPriest

Puritan Board Junior
I thought some of you might enjoy these volumes that I found when my wife and I visited her Granny in London this past November. I’d originally found the second volume to the set sitting in the back of a top corner in a closet in her Granny’s place. Later in the week I found the first and third volumes at her Auntie’s house (which was just a block away). Come to find out, the books had been given to her Granny’s mother (Mrs. Dickenson) by Mrs.D’s Father’s Great-Aunt – Mrs. Foyer (pictured below). And under her mother’s name was the address that the they had been evacuated to during WWII. It really was a great treasure to find – a set of books that’s literally been passed across 6 generations (that we know of) in her family. In addition, it’s great Biblical truths show God’s kind faithfulness to her family to preserve the Gospel’s witness to them through the ages. It really was amazing to find.

There's little to be found on John Hurrion himself. I've found a .pdf scan of the works on the internet. He's also got 4 lectures in a volume called "Lime Street Lectures" (John Gill is also in the volume). I know that both Spurgeon and Ryle quoted from him as well. But otherwise, he seems to be a forgotten pastor of Christ's flock - much like many pastors of our own day who are serving faithfully in obscurity. Anyhow, here's some pictures:

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

(I'm going to have the spine repaired on Volume 1 and 3 at some point, but it's rather expensive to have done.)
IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

Great! His Works (three-volumes-in-one) can be read online here. He lived from November 15/16 1676 to December 31, 1731. Walter Wilson gives a biographical sketch of him here in The History and Antiquity of Dissenting Churches and Meeting Houses, Vol. 3, p. 288. His work on Particular Redemption is available here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back